What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

power plug and headset jack locations

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
Where are you tandem guys putting your headset jacks and power plugs? Got any pics? Thanks!

Mickey -

You can see my jack locations in the pictures Doug posted of my cockpit. Basically, the pilot jacks are on the rear face of the right gear tower, just above the side panel. That works out OK, except if you wanted to use that flat space to set things, the cords are in the way. Realistically, I don't set things there anyway - inflight stuff (maps, hats, etc) end up in the passenger footwells.

I put the power plug (cigarette lighter) in the horizontal panel just in front of the spar, where I also put the custom-wired plug to connect my IpaQ for GPS interface.

Passenger jacks are above the arm-rests, facing aft. That keeps them and the wires out of the way.

I give myself a "C+/B-" on jack placements - probably better ways to do them, but that came when I was having one of those weeks where I just wanted to get done, and not overthink it!

Paul

Hi Mickey,

I wanted to keep the cords out of the way as well, which for me was behind me. I don't have a picture of the front, but the jacks are located on the left side in the top of the front bulkhead under the mid-cabin brace support plate (sorry, don't have part numbers) so that the plugs go in toward the tail.

The rear jacks are oriented the same way on the right side in the rear seat bulkhead. Three jacks - one Bose plug and two traditional mic/phone plugs.
100404-1.jpg

041805-6.jpg

The power outlet is mounted in the same bulkhead as the pilot jacks only on the right side and below the arm rest. This and the RAC trim rocker switch are hidden under a cover plate in the first picture above.
091404-5.jpg

Last edited:
headset/power jack outlets

Hi Mickey.

I put mine more or less where Jeff did, and would do it again. The cords stay out of the way for the front seater, and the GIB cans see his easily(he'll be less familiar with the plane). I also put a PTT for the back seater there, prominently labeled, rather than wire the back stick.

I like Jeff's power plug, and may add one there myself. I have one in the little triangular piece that supports the front of the seat (under my right thigh) which works well for gizmos that rest on the little console on the right. I didn't use the stock switch panel on the right side, so I have a lot of room and "stuff" tends to accumulate there on cross countries.

As a general rule, I would consider where the wires would go, what kind of gizmos you might want to plug in, and that the back seater will be less likely to know the plane, and would benefit from having the outlets in view.

I thought about adding a power tap to the glareshield, but never got around to it.

James Freeman

Wouldn't you want the headset plugs on the left side of the cockpit? That's the side the headphone wires are attached to the headset and that way, the wires don't need to cross the lap of the passenger/pilot.

f1rocket said:
Wouldn't you want the headset plugs on the left side of the cockpit? That's the side the headphone wires are attached to the headset and that way, the wires don't need to cross the lap of the passenger/pilot.

Good observation Randy - that's one of the reasons I give myself a low grade on this one.... ;)

Paul

Left or right

f1rocket said:
My Bose headsets can be switched from having the cord and mic boom on the left to putting it on the right. Not sure about other headsets. Since I plan to get into my aircraft from the left side, I think having the headset jacks on the right would cause less trouble, wouldn't it?

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, guys!

Left or Right...

Mickey

Randy's comment made sense to me becasue I always wear my headset cord on the left - becasue that keeps the cord away from the hand I write and fly with. In the Control Center, we always wear the headset so that the cord is on our non-dominant side, or it gets in the way....

Small, thing, and subtle - you cna get used to it either way!

Paul

Back