What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring run from the rt console aft on an 8A

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am beginning to run the wires from the switches on my right console aft to the strobe power, pitot tube heat, position lights, landing and taxi lights etc.

I have only identified two possible routes. The first is from the switch on the console forward though the hole and the forward end of the console, then down to the hole that routes them aft under the right side lower cover. It seems that there are two disadvantages to that. First, it increases the wiring runs by at least two feet. Second, it runs twice as many wires through the hole on the forward end of the console.

The second possibility is running the power wires from the fuseblock aft to the console using the hole at the front of the console, then to to switch, and from the switch aft and down where I would put a hole in the right side lower cover. That seems much cleaner, less cluttered, but makes the wires visible.

I would like to know how the rest of you have handled this issue. I hope my desciption is clear enough to understand.

Thanks,

Tony

Another option

Would like to claim this idea, but its a friend's; I went from the Rt console into the vertical run over the spar (covered by a cap, forget the number right now). from the very top of this, I went back via 1/2" butyrate tubing (US Plastics Corp) used as conduit. This tubing is rigid, lightweight and cheap. Use the tooling holes as starters, or make your own. I also put a second conduit just under the armrests to carry headset wires, etc.

If you need a bend or joggle, the plastic can be heated over a 4" or so length and bent as needed. I also have the holes in the spar, per Van's recommendation for major wires, such as antennae (is that the plural? :cool: )

BTW, you can buy a number of drawing from Van's; search his site for "DRW OP"; they are all Options, hence the OP. I have two handy electrical drawings; believe OP10 and OP11

wiring run

Harold,

If I understand what you are saying, you went the "high" route under the armrests to the power supply. I could do that with the power supply, and may do so now that you have pointed that out to me.

How did you run those wires that must go the "low" route, under the floorboards, so they can exit into the wings...pitot heat, position lights, etc.

Thanks for the input.

Tony

One way of doing it

Tony, I ended up going both the high route and low route.
050205-8.jpg

The "high" route consisted of all the wires being hidden inside some corrugated tubing and through the F-804 bulkhead. The tube is held in place with an Adel, nutplate, and screw on the flange of the instrument panel. The "low" route was actually split two ways: through a hole directly inline with the switch console or straight down through the midcabin cover and through a hole in the spar. The bottom hole through spar was the route used for anything that had to terminate directly behind the spar (comms & MB antenna) or go to the wings.
101104-6.jpg

For the most part, the wires that enter the channel above the spar from both the "high" and the top "low" route all end up going aft from the top in a large bundle seen here.
092704-5.jpg

From there the wires come down behind the flap actuator cover and then are routed as needed.
091404-5.jpg

091404-3.jpg

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Coming out of the back of the switch panel, my conduit makes a bit of an S-bend behind the bulkhead cover (over the spar) then proceeds aft under the arm rests. I did it this way so it would be hidden. I went aft until I was behind the baggage compartment. At that point any wires going to the wings is routed under the floor and forward.

Clear as mud?

Karl

My intended solution

Thanks guys for your input. It seems that there is more than one way to skin this cat. After much head scratching I have come up with this solution. I will run the wires from the rt console down through the cover plate below through the gear weldments and aft through the spar web.

rtconsolewirepathaftpq2.jpg

Thanks again,

Tony

Last edited:
Harold Lanfear said:
BTW, you can buy a number of drawing from Van's; search his site for "DRW OP"; they are all Options, hence the OP. I have two handy electrical drawings; believe OP10 and OP11
Actually, I believe you'll need to search for "DWG OP" to find the drawings via that method.

Dang computers... they're so particular. :)

Wiring Runs w/ Butyrate Tubing

"If I understand what you are saying, you went the "high" route under the armrests to the power supply. I could do that with the power supply, and may do so now that you have pointed that out to me.

How did you run those wires that must go the "low" route, under the floorboards, so they can exit into the wings...pitot heat, position lights, etc."

Tony, I actually have three routes: The "high" route is directly under the slider rail; the "middle" route is directly under the armrest.

The "low" route is through the spar and bulkheads under the floor (as shown in Vans OP-11 drawing. {Buck; thanks much for the correction on the search wording; I'm not sure if I can't type or if I'm just getting old and forgetful :p }

The "high" and "middle" routes both start at the F804 'Channel Cap'.

The 'high' route goes the the F817 plate which attaches to the rear roll back/pilot seat support, then continues all the way aft. I've left a large gap in the butyrate tube under the F817 plate for wiring exits since my headset and entertainment jack are in the bulkheads fore and aft of of the plate. This also holds the wiring going to the 14" amplified FM antennea in the tailcone for my FM radio under the right panel behind the gear tower. Got this little gem from Chrutchfield if anyone has interest.

The 'middle' route (under the armrests) continues back to the baggage compartment wall although it could go further. This route contains my pitot line, which is 1/4" Tygon tubing, also from US Plastics and wiring for my DVD player in the baggage compartment (Yes, I will have in-flight movies for my wife in the back and its all removeable with 1/4-turn fasteners for weight control)

If anyone has questions or would like pictures of the tubing in place (haven't tried posting them yet), shoot me an e-mail and I'll be happy to call or send pics.

Thanks Harold

Harold,

I am using the same configuration that you are. Two high routes and one low one. The only difference is that I am routing down and aft from the console (switch panel) instead of forward-down-aft.

Thanks for the info.

Tony

Back