What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why Garmin G3X?

Acrophil

image.jpg

I was asked why I chose the G3X system by Garmin.

It appears to me that Garmin has chosen to enter the experimental market with pricing and performance advantages. They have the platforms and experience to make it work and most importantly have the resources to stay in business. I like and own equipment from several other vendors in my other aircraft but wanted a system approach with com, IFR GPS , autopilot, efis and accessories as integrated as possible. I hope I got that this time around.

I also did not want to have to learn different avionics from which I was already familiar. This is in the other airplane I fly most of the time.

Screen shots of G1000. The G3X does most everything the 1000 does and I already know how to use it.

I have NO relationship with Garmin. This is just my decision after doing due diligence for my requirements. To each his own!!

Go garmin

I don't usually express my opinion, but I love Garmin. Their service is second to none, and I trust they will be around for a long time. Once I have flown w G1000, I never want to go back to steam.

I see you have a gemini as a backup. How do you like that so far? I'm considering that as a backup attitude for my now IFR RV-6.

Gemini

Gemini will keep you upright! Has been 100% reliable.
The Dynon D10a is also a great piece of gear. Lots of info
for the price.

Keep in mind when discussing the Gemini, there are two models. An ADI and a PFD. While they look the same and have similar hardware, they run different software. That is an ADI in the pic.

ADI

True and if I didn't have the battery backed up Dynon D10A,
I would want the Gemini PFD.
I have battery back up on G3X, D10A, and Gemini. Enough
is enough:)!!

My comment was more focused toward the request for a review on how well the Gemini is working. We need to understand which version of the Gemini that is being discussed to properly process the review.

Your panel is awesome!

Gemini

Brantel,

I confess that the ADI was already in the plane and working great so i decided to keep it. I have never flown the PFD version so can't comment on it.

You know a lot more about this stuff than me. I am just an airplane driver that appreciates stuff that makes the job easier. It was your panel that made me want this caliber of avionics for my play airplane. I may still need to talk to you to make sure i get the full capability out of my install.

I flew behind a G3X for the first time this weekend in a rental Gobash 700. Pretty fun plane and very cool panel though the rental doesnt appear to have XM, Adsb, or more than the very basic data pack. Still....way cool! Can't wait to see it fully functional in my bird.

Last edited:
Back