What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy frame insulation?

RV8RIVETER

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello all

I am going to install trim panels over the interior sides of the canopy frame. Contemplating the use of some spray foam underneath these panels on the fiberglass, to mainly deaden vibration/noise.

Any comments or observations from you guys who are flying?

Thanks,

My experience was that the vibration came from the skirt overlap on the skin at anything higher than normal cruise. I can't tell you whether your method will work or not because ours was fixed by installing some felt all the way around the bottom of the skirt. If you try your method please report back as to how it works. If you want to use felt you can order some from Great Lakes Aero Products. Their website is www.glapinc.com and the felt you're looking for is the thick stuff used to install Cessna windshields. I think a 100' roll is $20 and will do several RVs, but you can probably get smaller rolls. If I can find more information on it I'll post back here later.

Hey Jeff - good to hear from you - I guess that means that you have moved successfully and that you and the "Objects" are doing OK!

Wade - I second Jeff's comments on the felt - I just went ot the fabric store and bought a yard of gray felt, cut a 3/4" stip, shot it with 3M formula 77, and glued it on. No vibration - to the point where I still haven't put anything else on the inside of the skirts. I've been considering gluing some fabric on the inside (just for appearance), and never thought about any insulation. Next time I'm out at Kestrel, I'll take you for a ride and you can see if you think it still needs anything.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

Thanks Jeff and Paul.

I am planning on covering the inside for looks, and because I was too lazy or in a hurry (probably both :) ) to do any finish work on the inside of my skirts. I used SikaFlex on the skirts (plus pop rivets on the frame), so I have that glue "squeeze" to cover up as well. I think I am going to use the 0.025 thick Dragon Plate http://dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=3 as the panels.

Very nice offer Paul, and you can't take it back, it is on "public record"! I accept of course. :D

Ironflight said:
Hey Jeff - good to hear from you - I guess that means that you have moved successfully and that you and the "Objects" are doing OK!

Hi Paul.

Yes, SOME of us made it to New York. Diana and I are getting settled in and finding our way around now and school is going great. The other Object (the one that didn't make the trip) is now at 160 hours and holding in my parents shop in Colorado. I thought the month the RV was in the paint shop was painful, but being without it for 6 months is just downright wrong.

Internet connections are spotty right now so I'm not online as often as before. When I am online I'm trying to catch up on the forums and OSH happenings, wishing we were there... maybe next year. It looks like you've been posting regularly so were you able to make it up to OSH at all this week?

To keep the thread on subject, I found the page with the felt tape. Check it out here and look for the 1" grey tape. Sold by the foot or 100' roll.

just wondering if what else should be done to the canopy to help with noise and warmth? I live in Canada, so its cold here in the winter, any suggestions would be great. The canopy has not been started on yet, so I still have time to make changes. As well what do you the rv8 guys recomend for insultation in the inside of the cabin?
Scott

ISODAMP

Scott

I am using a product from EAR called ISODAMP. I bought one sheet of the firewall insulation and 2 sheets for the fuselage, each about 5' x 3'. It is not the cheapest, I think I paid about $180 for the 3 sheets. I am afraid it has been a while. It is specially made for vibration/noise, but I would think it has some insulation value since one side is foil backed. Of course, that would probably not count as "Canadian insulation".

Back