What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing Hinge Pins

n250jg

I don't have the technique, but instead I'm searching for one. What are some of the ways people have secured hinge pins that do not have excess pin on one end, similar to the oil door hinge in the picture below? I was thinking drill and safety wire, but since this hinge opens nearly 180deg, something like that would bind and/or ruin the fiberglass/paint.

Any suggestions appreciated.

hinge1.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff,

Since you show the oil door hinge, I can tell you something that I learned from how they did it on my Grumman. They cut the hinge pin short, so that it was recessed maybe a sixteenth at both ends, and then squeezed the end of the hinge loop to prevent it from back out. It won't fall out, but it is also not removable from that point on....

Paul

If you use the "Grumman" method, that Paul brought up, instead of squeezing the ends, you can take a small punch and peen a dimple into the end hinge eyes. Looks a lot nicer. Also, if you do need to remove the hinge pin, you can drill out the little dimple. You would want to do this to the hinge prior to riveting the hinge to the cowl, if possible...just easier that way.

You're right SF - that is what they did, not squeezing as I suggested...it was a really tiny punch!

Paul

just a thought

I wonder if fitting an allen set screw into the hinge would work, just tap one section of hinge hoop about half its length, then cut the pin short by same length, punch other end like stated above.

You could remove pin by pushing out from other end after removing set screw.

Locktite it in with removable locktite.

Mike

Hard to believe nobody mentioned this yet, but why not just "plug" the end with epoxy? Need the pin out, just drill out the epoxy.

Mine seemed to recess into the cowl as I had to "spring" it in place. I needed no extra retainer and it shows no signs of coming out. I can flex the end of the pin if I need to pull it out. Did that several times during painting. I guess I got lucky on that (unless I lose the hatch). :D

Roberta

Ironflight said:
Jeff,

Since you show the oil door hinge, I can tell you something that I learned from how they did it on my Grumman. They cut the hinge pin short, so that it was recessed maybe a sixteenth at both ends, and then squeezed the end of the hinge loop to prevent it from back out. It won't fall out, but it is also not removable from that point on....

Paul
This is exactly the method called out when for a time I personally installed 100% of the footsteps that include a hinged spring loaded door into the side of the T-45 Goshawk a few feet just below the cockpit area. You can be sure every Navy student pilot has shoved his foot into a footstep assembled and installed into the first 50 or so T-45's produced in St. Louis by yours truly. :eek:
Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

An untried idea

What about cutting the pin short at both ends and drilling a hole through the hinge at each end just large enought for .032" wire and safetie it? Only for out of airstream, of course.

For in-airstream, a very slight crush of the hinge "loop" at the end will retain the pin in most cases and can be opened up with a tapered punch if need be for maintenance.
h

dan said:
Hard to believe nobody mentioned this yet, but why not just "plug" the end with epoxy? Need the pin out, just drill out the epoxy.

Why is it always the same guy that comes up with the obvious (in hindsight) solution? :p

Back