What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

adding crotch strap

freegespeed

Has anyone added a vertical belt (crotch belt) to an existing standared seat belt system (waist plus both shoulders)?

My buckle is the kind in which the two shoulder straps slide onto the male end of the waist belt. It seems like there could be room for another belt to fit in there, although I have yet to really try a test of it with an extra male end to be sure.

I have flown in two different aerobatic planes (Robin's); one had a similar looking belt system to my RV's (plus crotch strap), while the other had the super slick, push one button to release kind. The Robin with the slotting buckle method got me to thinking about this subject.

Economics is my main motive. I also would have to track down an odd seat belt clip and some webbing, and have it sewn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Van's carries them

If you have the standard harnesses from Van's, they sell the crotch strap at the bottom of this page. $27.85 for two. You're right, it just slides on the male insert with the two from the shoulder harnesses. Here's a picture of ours:
041105-4.jpg

Just make sure the metal adjustment is below the top of the seat (not between your legs).

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information and the picture. It looks like the crotch strap has to go through the seat from what I'm seeing. There has to be a slot for it.I could probably adapt my seat to this configuation, but it might mean taking it to an upholstery shop for some custom work.

I occasionally go upside down in my RV6A when flying solo, so the crotch strap should help me, "hang tight", so to speak. It felt necessary in the Robin's to have the five point system for sport aerobatics.

may not need to modify seats

The picture was the front seat of our -8A, but the back seat crotch strap attach point is in front of the bottom seat. I didn't show it because my wife didn't want it installed, but that might be how the -6s are also. Can anyone with a -6 explain how this would attach?

Back