What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd Naca duct for RV-8 (front vent)

Wicked Stick

Well Known Member
I'm thinking a 2nd fresh air vent for my RV-8 is a good idea for those hot summer days. (This would be for the Panel/Pilot up front)

I've seen pictures of some RV-8 panels showing one on each side of the panel.
Did you guys who did a second vent install a second Naca inlet on the right side, or did you just y-pipe a scat hose ?

I'm considering cutting a 2nd Naca inlet for the right side, exactly opposite the left by tracing from the left skin. Does this work ? what interferences did it cause if any ?

Wicked Stick said:
I'm considering cutting a 2nd Naca inlet for the right side, exactly opposite the left by tracing from the left skin. Does this work ? what interferences did it cause if any ?
This is exactly what my friend did on his -8. Works great, but you can't have the baggage compartment extension that goes down the starboard side. Neither of us bothered with those (our baggage compartment floors are compeltely flat).

Cheers

I used a "Y"

Not saying that adding a second NACA scoop isn't a good solution, I just decided that I'd go with a "Y" off the single scoop to my two eyeball vents. It seems to give me plenty of air so far - but haven't flown in a south Texas summer yet. Of course, in August, having more HOT air might not do me any good either! ;)

Seriously, I was very worried about if I would get enough airflow, and have been very pleasantly surprised that I am getting more than I imagined I would. If you build the forward baggage compartment to plans at first, it would probably be relatively easy to retrofit later if you desired.

Paul

T'd my single naca to two panel i-ball vents and get plenty of air through them. Not sure a second naca would provide much gain. I think the bottle-neck is at the panel vent, not the naca.

I went the "Y" route as well and during the summer months down here it wasn't enough. I think Larry is correct that the bottleneck is the eyeballs in the panel for two reasons: closing one vent on the panel does not help much and the big vent on the floor in back for the pax puts out a LOT more air. For Christmas I got a set of the RV-10 sidewall vents and installed them as far forward as I could on the fiberglass canopy skirt. Their only about $18 for the pair and so far they work pretty good, but it's only the warm season now in Houston, summer is still coming.

n250jg said:
I went the "Y" route as well and during the summer months down here it wasn't enough. I think Larry is correct that the bottleneck is the eyeballs in the panel for two reasons: closing one vent on the panel does not help much and the big vent on the floor in back for the pax puts out a LOT more air. For Christmas I got a set of the RV-10 sidewall vents and installed them as far forward as I could on the fiberglass canopy skirt. Their only about $18 for the pair and so far they work pretty good, but it's only the warm season now in Houston, summer is still coming.

Jeff,

Got any pictures of the install for that. ?

I think I'll leave the right side skin alone for now, and "Y" off the left naca to flow air over to the right side for now. Thanks guys.

Sorry, not yet

Dave,

I'm assuming you're talking about pictures for the RV-10 vents, but I forgot to take some when I had the canopy at home. If I make it out to the hangar this weekend I'll post the pictures here. If you're talking about the "Y", I just started a new thread with a diagram of the setup.

RV-10 vents in -8 skirt

Had the day off yesterday and took some pictures at the airport.

First picture is on the left side, and as you can see the handle will interfere with the vent so you may want to locate it elsewhere. But here, with the vents fully open the air hits the pilot just right, so I'm leaving it.
10vent1.jpg

Right side vent.
10vent2.jpg

In the last picture you can see there's no traditional (piano) hinge, just an overlap of material holding the aft end in place. There are small nylon washers on the screw between the two cross pieces and the handle, so you can adjust the amount of friction and so far they have never moved on their own from a partially open position during flight.
10vent3.jpg

As you would guess, it makes it much louder in the cockpit when opened in flight, but they close flush and do not leak at all. Can't wait to use them in the summer, but even during the winter there great. When it's cold my GIB prefers the canopy closed during taxi, but the amount of air those thing catch just off the prop is more than enough to keep me cool.

On another note, the -8 predrilled skins were nice over the old -6 lay-out-your-own-rivets skin, but if the rest of the kit has the same high quality of these small parts (perfectly match drilled, excellent instructions, no more brown bags) you -10 builders have it great!

Last edited:
Back