What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Trip & Ripon Arrival Video

pmccoy

Well Known Member
All-

This year was the first time I was able to fly into Oshkosh. It was an amazing trip. All in the trip was over 3,100 miles. It took approximately 11 hours and two days for both the trip in and the trip home, 24 total hours on the hobbs with engine starting and taxi time. It's really amazing how far you can go in an RV.

Once I landed at Oshkosh, I had the best show experience I've ever had. Both Monday and Tuesday I stood next to my plane and talked with anyone walking by. It was really a great experience to pay it forward, as I have been pestering guys standing by their RV's for years. Thanks to all those who stopped by to chat. I loved every minute of it. I also enjoyed staying in a camper for the first time. That allowed me to attend the RV Beer social on Monday night, and Vans dinner on Tuesday.

Link to Ripon Arrival video on YouTube.

Here are a few photos from the journey;

Rolling hills and a low ceiling approaching Oshkosh from the West.
IMG_2946.jpg

On the flight line with the Oshkosh tower in the background.
IMG_3007.jpg

One of my favorite activities. Watching planes land on Sunday.
IMG_2994.jpg

Flying home with my new AEROX system. Rocky was along for the ride.
IMG_3021.jpg

Did some cloud dancing with VFR over the top on the way home. Nice smooth air, and big holes in the clouds for a long shallow decent through the puffy and quite beautiful layer of clouds.
IMG_3032.jpg

One of 4 courtesy car trips into towns, we passed the Corn Palace at our stop in Mitchell SD.
IMG_3034.jpg

Almost home, passing by just north of St. George, UT.
IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

Route of Flight.
Day #1 KCNO - KSJN - KABQ - KOEL - KOLU
Day #2 KOLU - KFRM - KCHU - KOSH
Day #8 KOSH - KMHE - KRKS - KCDC
Day #9 KCDC - KCNO
2014 Oshkosh Routing.jpg

Last edited:
What a deal Pete. I bet it was thrilling for you. I hope to be in the same place you are next year! It will be my first trip to AV and if I can get my plane done - that will be the best!

Following your build has kept the excitement level up for me. Thanks - I hope to meet you there next year!

* I am putting an oxygen system in but I don't think I can get a mask like you guys have!!!

Oshkosh Trip

Nice photo report. Nice video. I always like you videos.

I' ve been following you since the construction of the plane.
Wow Peter! You closed the circle: you built the plane, you flew it to Oshkosh. You can check this out from the bucket list.

Most sincere congratulations! :)

Congratulations!

Great job! And congratulations on your many "firsts" as credited at the end of the video!
I always enjoy watching Oshkosh arrival videos. Thanks for sharing with us.

Awesome video, thanks for posting it! And it was nice to meet & talk to you at OSH. I think the trip helped make this whole thing seem a little more real for my wife. I mean... who can spend three days of total "aviation immersion" at Oshkosh and NOT get excited about the idea of flying your own plane?

Excellent Adventure

I thought flying my -12 from NJ was challenging enough, but CA in an RV-9A is really impressive. Enjoyed speaking with you about your paint wrap. Looks great. Glad you made it home safely.

Welcome to VAF!

Marcumb, first post------welcome to VAF.

Today must be the day for long term lurkers to come out of the closet:D

Nice video. You must have arrived very, very early. Hardly any planes on the ground or in the air.

Yes, I arrived on Friday afternoon before the show. A storm rolled through Friday morning that we were chasing as we flew East. Ended up stopping for dropping ceilings twice on the last leg in from Nebraska. The whole trip on Friday was 2,500 cloud deck. I flew at 2,000' for the last three hours. So I arrived early, and with low clouds.

During my flight from California I saw two planes. A Southwest jet taking off below me as I crossed over the top of Albuquerque, and the plane landing on runway 18R as I turned downwind for the KOSH arrival.

...During my flight from California I saw two planes. A Southwest jet taking off below me as I crossed over the top of Albuquerque, and the plane landing on runway 18R as I turned downwind for the KOSH arrival.

In 2012 I flew 580 nm from North Alabama to Oshkosh and didn't see a single aircraft, civilian or military, airplane or helicopter, etc., all the way until I reached Oshkosh. I admit I did stay overnight in Dekalb Illinois and arrived at RIPON at 7:00 AM, but I was amazed that I didn't see any other traffic. On the way home, I think I only saw one other airplane for the whole trip.

That's really amazing that you flew all the way across the country and only saw two other airplanes and one of them was in the afternoon at Oshkosh.

Nice Video, looks like a great trip. So much for the crowded skies - huh.

I see Alan Judy parked to the south of you. Hope to see you there next year, it looks like Friday is a good day to arrive.

Being up close to the action, did you have any unexpected wing walkers like we hear of?

Nice video Peter! It was nice meeting you at Oshkosh and I hope to see you again next year. We can sit beside the runway and grade the landings again!

Darin

Being up close to the action, did you have any unexpected wing walkers like we hear of?

I never saw anyone that was not treating all the planes with a great amount of respect and a bit of admiration. For as many people as you see at Airventure everyone seems to be polite and eager to talk about aviation.

Nice video Peter! It was nice meeting you at Oshkosh and I hope to see you again next year. We can sit beside the runway and grade the landings again!

Darin- Agreed. I had a blast watching the planes land on Sunday. Can't wait to do it all over again next year. Look me up on the flight line when you get in. See you there!

The unexpected wing walking usually occurs out on the main show line (out in front of Homebuilders Headquarters and south) where the general public congregates to watch the air shows. Back in "Area 51", we are generally safe from that - its mostly pilots and owners wandering around.

Back