What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weighing RV12

bobg56

Well Known Member
I'm the third owner of an RV12, I would like to weigh and recalculate the W+B, I know to drain fuel and remove non essentials, my question is what type of scales were used? ...thanks

Scales

I'm the third owner of an RV12, I would like to weigh and recalculate the W+B, I know to drain fuel and remove non essentials, my question is what type of scales were used? ...thanks

I was fortunate enough to have a hangar neighbor who owed a set of 4-channel scales he uses for weighing his race car(s). I believe there are some discussions about this if you search the forums. Many ways to do it even with just one scale rotated among the three wheels.

Followup...search the forums for "weighing" and "scales". Also get a copy of the RV-12 Production Acceptance Procedures (PAP) for the -12. I'm pretty sure that's where the procedure is.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm wondering if regular digital bathroom scales cane be used or something else designed for aircraft weighing is required.

Some bathroom scales shut off after a minute. That does not give enough time to read the weight before it disappears.

Use two good quality bath scales

Use two good quality bath scales

Put blocks of the same height of the scales on a level surface under the main wheels and one scale under the nose wheel and record the weight, then remove the first scale and re-weigh with the other scale.

If the weigh the same it should be a good number.

Repeat under each main.

Joe Dallas

i think weighing with one scale is fine [that's how i did it] but remember to block up the 2 wheels not being weighed the thickness of the scale to keep everything level at each weighing

Not necessarily

If the weigh the same it should be a good number.

These days, even moderately priced scales are usually very repeatable, but not necessarily accurate, so two scales of the same model/manufacturer are likely to read the same, even if not accurate. Better if you can find one high quality scale to compare with. Many EAA chapters have some you can rent or borrow.
Also be sure to relieve any side pressure from the gear legs. In principle this shouldn?t matter, but with real-world scales it might.

I used bathroom scales. I had three and took three readings rotating the scales so that I had one earring from each scale at each wheel. Then I averaged the three readings at each position for the aw&B calf. I reasoned that would average out scale errors.

I used bathroom scales. I had three and took three readings rotating the scales so that I had one earring from each scale at each wheel. Then I averaged the three readings at each position for the aw&B calf. I reasoned that would average out scale errors.

Read my post. This is faulty reasoning. Random errors are reduced by averaging, but systematic ones are not.

I use 3 digital 440 lbs postal scales. Purchased them on amazon for about a $100. I use three 1/2 inch plywood ramps and leveling blocks to put the plane at the proper level for weighing. I zero out the scales with the ramps and leveling blocks on the scale. Simply move the ramps in position and pull the plane up on the scales. The time out timer starts once the weight has stabilized on the read out. I just push a little on the plane to keep the scale active until I am ready to read each scale. It?s cheep and works well. Scales are very accurate and can be checked against them self using any ?standard? weight you wish. I used bar bell weights.

I reweigh my plane with every mod I make. Here is the link.

www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Shipping...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Scales

Wow! Awesome find!
A here I was sweating a re-weigh after a few mods.
See??? Next years "dues" have paid for themselves already. :)

Got 3 ($35) Amazon Stainless Steel Large Platform, 440 lbs Capacity Postal Scale. Seams to be very accurate. Only down side is that you have two minutes to weigh the aircraft because they will shut off after that. They are very accurate, I put a known weight of 300 lbs on them to see how accurate each one was and they where all right on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0153I0418/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oFs.png

Back