What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door insulation?

josnooze

Sponsor
I am to the stage of assembling and fitting my doors. I have seen on someone's website/build log adding insulation or sound dampening material to the inside area of the doors that are not bonded. Anyone have any experience with this? If so what material?

I am to the stage of assembling and fitting my doors. I have seen on someone's website/build log adding insulation or sound dampening material to the inside area of the doors that are not bonded. Anyone have any experience with this? If so what material?

What do you hope to achieve with this. Not a whole bunch of sound coming through the doors. Firewall and floors are a different story, but no real way to block sound without toxic fumes during a fire. Some methods to stop heat transfer safely, but not sound.

Several folks have seen de-bonding of the door halves, so I would not do anything to compromise a good bond.

Last edited:
I insulated all sorts of stuff. If I had to do it over I would pass on doing this and save the 12-18 lbs. My original thought was because I was putting AC in the plane I should insulate it. In reality I get the cold air on my face and once I'm airborne a bit it doesn't matter.

I insulated my doors with pour foam during the build. As a bonus, the cavities filled with foam that bonds to the fiberglass add a bit of stiffness to the doors.

After doing taxi and high power runs in the -10, I'm pleased with how low the sound levels are in the airplane (without headsets). Far quieter than my RV-6. I assume the double layer construction on the -10 and the well sealed doors really help.

At this time, my -10 doesn't even have carpet.

So, the point is, I'd skip any extra insulation.

Back