What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filling Stall Warning Holes

UnPossible

Well Known Member
I am in the process of wrapping up the wings, and realized that I still have two small holes on the leading edge of one wing for Van's stall warning device. Since I am using an AOA, I am not planning on installing it.

What is the best way to fill these holes, on a wing with the bottom skins already riveted on? I am hoping to find a solution that avoids pulling the fuel tank if at all possible.

Thanks

IF it was a FLAT location, I would say to slightly countersink each side and then set a solid rivet. Once set, take a rivet shaver and cut the outside down flush with the skin. Countersinking only the outside and setting a rivet before shaving the rivet would also work.

Have you done a full leak check and flush on the tanks, as in put ~10 gallons of 100LL in them while on the bench and let them sit for a month or more? If not, then this is reason to pull the tanks. Once the tanks are off, put some micro in the holes from the inside, add a small patch of glass on top. Let it set and sand the micro that come out the holes flush.

I find the gas in the tank to be real test as it will find the weeping rivets. Put paper towels under them as witness paper, rotate every week or so to get gas on all the rivets. Drain the tanks via the sump (not the fuel outlet) via a cheap in line hose filter. Repeat as needed if you get junk out of the tanks.

Carl

Back