What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safe tire pressure

Hi, Does anyone know the safe tire pressure of rv3b 3.80x150 600-5 6? Thanks for helping!

I run about 45psi with my RV-8 with these larger tires. I'm also using the michelin airstop tubes, which are expensive but they have not leaked more than about a psi or two in a year.

I think I've seen numbers on the VAF from about 20psi to about 50psi.

Let’s see - the question is on an RV-3….two answers for other planes already! ;)

We actually run fairly low tire pressures on our -3 (28 psi) because that is the sweet spot for damping out gear shimmy. We run considerably higher pressures on our other RV’s, but this is the number that works with our gear dynamics. If I can find the time to play around a bit, I want to convert the -3 from wood dampers to metal, and see if that works well and I can raise the tire pressures….but I have other projects with higher priority!

Paul

Let’s see - the question is on an RV-3….two answers for other planes already! ;)

We actually run fairly low tire pressures on our -3 (28 psi) because that is the sweet spot for damping out gear shimmy. We run considerably higher pressures on our other RV’s, but this is the number that works with our gear dynamics. If I can find the time to play around a bit, I want to convert the -3 from wood dampers to metal, and see if that works well and I can raise the tire pressures….but I have other projects with higher priority!

Paul

Paul, Yes I responded .......I didn't know the -3 had a different dynamic. Tks.
On the dampers....I had trouble getting the wood with glass wrap to fit under the standard fairing, so I pondered the problem.
I wound up using a fiberglass rod, about 1/2" in Diameter and sticking it on with marine adhesive. So it flexes some and even the adhesive can give too.
Small and strong, located on back side of gear. No issues with the fairing now. I did jack the plane up to install while the gear leg was straight.

I run 30psi on the 3. Anything more and I get a bad shimmy, anything less and I go through tires/tubes quickly.

It varies on your build, depending on the dampening the legs have and how much movement you get. The runway I operate out of has some small bumps at seams in the concrete, which makes problems worse when running higher than 30psi, smooth surfaces no issues at 35-40psi.

I'd test out various pressures and find what works for you.

The Air up there...

Hi, Does anyone know the safe tire pressure of rv3b 3.80x150 600-5 6? Thanks for helping!

Sean,
I have been running 380x150x5 tires on all three of my RV's/HR2 since 2003. I based my air pressure (like most back country pilots) on weight and "landing area" conditions. (airport for most on this site) The 380 has a larger footprint than the standard 500:5 and has a sweet spot for shimmy, tire wear and ease of moving around as mentioned above on pavement is 30PSI. My short gear RV4 was very similar to the RV3 geometry with wood or no dampeners. Shimmy can be eliminated entirely by avoiding paved runways! :) If you frequent mud, gravel, soft turf or sandy conditions I used 20-25PSI in the 380. Heavier airplanes like my 1150lb HR2 40 PSI worked well all the time.

The Aero Classic 380x150x5 truly is the preferred RV tire IMHO, a far superior load and footprint.
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Back