What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem with WD-762

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me figure out a problem I've run into with my RV-7. I think I may have misread drawing 46 and installed WD-762 on the wrong side of F-601. It took some persuading to get it to fit, which should have been the first clue. I called Van's and described the problem, but all they said was "that happens sometimes, just keep building." Even still, I'm worried that this may have screwed up something else. At the very least, I'm worried that this might have an effect on the amount of available legroom in the cockpit. Also I think it will make the cowling installation more difficult. Has anyone else made this mistake, or do you guys think I should do this part over?

thanks,
- Matt

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. At least you'll have plenty of cabin heat and ventilation. Just be sure to get a REALLY good noise cancelling headset! :D

Oh, and imho you'll definitely want to use the forward battery station.

Last edited:
I have the same issue

Unfortunately/Fortunately, I ran into the same issue, and my solution seems rather elegant to me.
1) I am using a Hellcat, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine#6.2_Hellcat I have a lot more flexibility for positioning things.
2) As far as leg room goes, that shouldn't be a problem, by shifting the canopy so it is completely forward of F-601
3) I will need a PSRU to mate up with the Engine, and it seems like the safest bet is to use an off the shelf Hemi Differential.
4) Being that the differential has two output shafts, it seems a shame to only drive one prop, so I am thinking I will use both drive shafts, and drive a second prop, or even better yet, make them fans.
5) Here is a Rear view of the concept https://tinyurl.com/26eynvr6
6) Clearly weight and balance will need to be analyzed carefully.

This is my first post here, as a short time lurker, so constructive ideas are welcome.

Chuck

Back