What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red Intake Hose Where to Buy?

Vlad

Well Known Member
I've seen this intake hose on a new Mattituck engine and would like to buy a set for my O-320. Does anybody have a part number or a source?

What diameter do you need?

I have some 2.5 inch diameter I used for my intake. What diameter and length do you need? I bought mine at Summit Racing.

Vibrant performance 2704 is 3 inches long
Vibrant Performance 27051 is 12 inches long. They cut very easily with a razor.

Vlad - if you are changing your intake hoses, send a few extra dollars to Wicks and get ABA clamps. One of the chief troubles with both intake hoses and the little oil return hoses is the standard gear clamps allow the material of the hose to extrude through the little gear slots in the clamp, resulting in loss of clamping pressure. The ADA clamps don't have these slots, so clamping pressure remains constant over time.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircra...keycateg=100&keyprod=1540&SchType=2&keyType=P

Oil return lines

In addition to the better clamps I believe that buying the oil return hose in bulk and making the hoses slightly longer will reduce the chances of oil leaks.

I ordered Performance Summit Racing hose and changed it on intake Cylinder #1. I cut the new length 1/4 longer because the stock Lycoming rubber part was very close to the edge of intake pipe. The old rubber hose was fused and I had to cut it. This is how it looked opened.

intake%20hose%20-%201%203.jpg

A friend of mine recommended to cut the new hose a tad longer.

intake%20hose%20-%201%202.jpg

Hose replaced.

intake%20hose%20-%201.jpg

I put first three hours on it today all good.

intake%20hose%20-%201%201.jpg

Will monitor and report here. Stock set of intake hoses lasts from 500 to 700 hours. The deformation is very noticeable. If anybody has a suggestion and a correct number for better hose clamps please post here.

I plan to do the same silicone hose thing. I've been looking at clamps too. I have found that MSC Direct has a plethora of the constant tension wire type hose clamps. Problem is you need to buy a bag of 100 or so, but at least the unit price is cheap.

I used marine grade hose that I got from mcmaster carr. It is thick and heavily reinforced. It is resistant to all petroleum products, as well as other chemicals. It was as thick as the OEM and seals well.

Larry

Back