What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

polycarbonite canopy

kentlik

Well Known Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears the Van's canopy's only come in acrylic. Not the strongest stuff by any means. Is there a source for Polycarb -7 canopy's?

A lexan canopy would look like you car headlights within a few years. Yuck. The optics wouldn't be as good as plexi either.

PC is too strong

If I ever have the misfortune of being upside down in an RV crash, I would prefer to have it shatter on impact. Imagine trying to break a bulletproof material with a hammer while your cockpit is on fire.

Might be okay for the forward screen to mitigate bird strikes, but not the entire canopy.

Don

If I ever have the misfortune of being upside down in an RV crash, I would prefer to have it shatter on impact. Imagine trying to break a bulletproof material with a hammer while your cockpit is on fire.

Might be okay for the forward screen to mitigate bird strikes, but not the entire canopy.

Don

Certainly something to think about.

A lexan canopy would look like you car headlights within a few years. Yuck. The optics wouldn't be as good as plexi either.

I think that the material to use for the front screen on my slider would be Xylex.
I have used it in a few applications and it is UV protected and optically clear. Application, safety eye wear and the likes.

Thanks for the input helpedme from making the whole canopy out of it...

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears the Van's canopy's only come in acrylic. Not the strongest stuff by any means. Is there a source for Polycarb -7 canopy's?

Polycarbonate is extremely prone to cracking from chemical exposure compared to acrylic. :eek:

Polycarbonate is also softer than acrylic so it scratches more easily.

I think Vans supplied the rear of the RV12 canopy (one way curve section) in polycarbonate which was a big mistake. I see lots of them with myriad stress cracks in them simply from getting a small splash of fuel on them (the fuel cap is right next to the canopy).

Polycarbonate is also more difficult to heat-form than acrylic so the forming outcome can be more problematic.

For formed aircraft canopies, acrylic is the go go. Polycarbonate is a no no. :)

Last edited:
+1 regarding polycarbonate being too soft. It is tough in regards to fracture resistance but it scratches too easily.

Back