What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switch arrangement

mdmba

trying to plan the layout for the switches on the panel.
from left to right...id like to hear how others have arranged them...
thanks in advance

I have mine laid out left to right in the order that they are normally used.

Master and Avionics Master separate from other switches.

Ignition switches and Start button separate from other switches.

trying to plan the layout for the switches on the panel.......

There was an excellent article in a very old Kitplanes magazine about panel switch layout and the reasons for logical thinking. Safety being the most important.

Groups of 5 switches were recommended (so that feel could be incorporated in the layout, IIRC), grouping by function, etc. My -6's layout was done with this article in mind and it has worked well for me. YMMV

Maybe someone can help with the Kitplanes edition (circa mid 90's, I'm guessing)

Here's what I came up with for my -7A. Just a data point to consider.

Red = Power (Master, ALT field)
Green = Mags
Blue = Fuel pump
White = Ligts
Black = AP kill, CP stick button kill and Pitot Heat (was going to be trim kill but decided the Dynon AP Panel was good enough)
Breakers (two to be installed later this week), one spare
PMag - Switch Breakers (one spare for future left)

rETFuBwh.jpg

Last edited:
My main switch group contains (left to right) Master, Avionics, Alternator, Autopilot, Pitot Heat, and Fuel Pump. The idea here is that the first 4 will almost always be switched on in normal flight. The next two will be used on occasion. The fuel pump switch is farthest to the right because it's easier to reach while my hand is on the throttle.

I have another group of switches for lights, and yet another group for trim functions (On/Off/Reverse and HighSpeed/LowSpeed).

Back