What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFIS/ panel setup for aerobatics

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
I'm looking for some input from guys who do aerobatics (but others can chime in also) regarding their experience of using their EFIS set up to display the steam gauges when doing aerobatics.

I'm upgrading the panel on my -4, and was strongly leaning towards keeping my ASI and altimeter because it's much easier to just quickly glance at these gauges for a split second to see what the plane is doing vs. having to read digits on the tape of the EFIS.

My plan was to keep the ASI and altimeter and go with the 7" GRT Sport EX EFIS. The other option would be to get the 10" version which has a mode for displaying the six-pack. My question is this: for those who do aerobatics and use this display mode, what do you think? The simulated round gauges are as good as the real ones when doing aerobatics? Some EFIS's momentarily freeze or have some lag you're in unusual attitudes and the antenna loses GPS signal. Is this a problem with GRT?

I'd keep both. I found myself looking at the steam gauges instead of my Dynon when acro. Also, when "the lights go out" (EFIS or electrical fail), the steam gauges will still be functional.

Just sayin' ... but if you're looking inside while doing acro you might be looking in the wrong place.

Besides starting airspeed and altitude, everything else comes in via your eyes and hands.

Just sayin' ... but if you're looking inside while doing acro you might be looking in the wrong place.

Besides starting airspeed and altitude, everything else comes in via your eyes and hands.

That's precisely the reason for round gauges vs having to read digits on the tapes. You only have split seconds to glance quickly at the gauges between figures and no time to look for numbers on an EFIS. In fact, I don't even think hard numbers when I'm flying acro - just the positions of the needles and how quickly they're moving one way or the other is all I need.

Paradigm change. If you all you have is digits to interpret, you learn to interpret them. I glance at the numbers, then send my eyes back outside the airplane and allow my brain to think about the numbers.

I've been thinking the same thing...

Hey Brian,
I wish I could provide you some real life experience as you asked but I've not been able to try this - yet.
I just wanted to say that you're not the only one to think that using the 6 pack display might be a good idea. I have been thinking the same thing, not only for aerobatics, but it would also be great for local fun flying where most of the time is spent "heads out".
While I'm very comfortable with glass, I find my eyes drawn to the round dials whenever they're available, for all the very valid reasons you mentioned.

The only thing I'm a little unsure of is whether the background brown/blue horizon presentation (behind the 6 pack) may be distracting. I'd love the option to have a flat grey background to allow the dials to stand out more clearly.

I do think there is value to backup instrumentation, but I was thinking that something like a G5 or GRT mini (depending on interfacing with the rest of the panel) would suffice if I was happy with the 6 pack presentation on the main screen. So you'd end up with the big screen and a mini standby instrument. Use the 6 pack presentation when desired, revert to a more complex display if necessary. Supplement with an iPad if you want a separate moving map etc when going cross country.
Of course all the above works much better if you have a separate engine monitor so you're not cluttering up the main display with engine stuff.

Again, no personal experience, but I'm planning for this type of usage until I discover it doesn't work - I think it's a great idea in theory.

Hope this helps.

I'm looking for some input from guys who do aerobatics (but others can chime in also) regarding their experience of using their EFIS set up to display the steam gauges when doing aerobatics.

I'm upgrading the panel on my -4, and was strongly leaning towards keeping my ASI and altimeter because it's much easier to just quickly glance at these gauges for a split second to see what the plane is doing vs. having to read digits on the tape of the EFIS.

My plan was to keep the ASI and altimeter and go with the 7" GRT Sport EX EFIS. The other option would be to get the 10" version which has a mode for displaying the six-pack. My question is this: for those who do aerobatics and use this display mode, what do you think? The simulated round gauges are as good as the real ones when doing aerobatics? Some EFIS's momentarily freeze or have some lag you're in unusual attitudes and the antenna loses GPS signal. Is this a problem with GRT?

First, I am NOT an experienced aerobatic pilot although I did fly with Team AeroDynamix for a while and got to experience aerobatic work with some guys who were REALLY good. What I was ALWAYS reminded of was that 90+% of the time I should be looking OUTSIDE!

Second, there was a bit of talk about the minimum instrumentation needed during the performance of the shows we did and some had a preference for round gauges if possible on the (mainly) GRT Systems in use.

Now, the 10.1 unit is the one with "6-pack" option for the "PFD" display. You can change how translucent the gauges are on the screen, all the way to opaque.

On the 10.1, you can display all info required for flight (PFD, MAP, ENGINE). But if you choose, you can add a "Mini", switch the 10.1 to "6-Pack" and have the Mini set to show ALL engine sensors etc. Or with a 2-button push, it can be another standard PFD, or a moving map.

I am sure that you can accomplish this with the other EFIS suppliers but since you asked specifically about the GRT, I am sharing what little I know.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, there are very few round dials in the F16. As an instructor teaching BFM, especially defensive, I taught to take snapshots when you look at the HUD. If you are familiar enough with the info presented there your brain will very naturally process the snapshot as you are looking back over your shoulder. If your EFIS allows you to declutter, that could be very helpful. I would probably argue that if you are looking inside at round dials or an EFIS and ‘reading’ them, you are looking inside too long. Admittedly, almost all of my aerobatic flying has been in jets but I’d say you are only looking inside for a couple of snapshots. For example in a Cuban-8, entry parameters, airspeed/altitude on top, dive angle after roll-out. The rest of the time is outside looking at wings and horizon. FWIW

Potatoes vs potatoes

I kept a round ASI and altimeter despite having dual EFIS screens in my RV-8. In my years as an airshow pilot and aerobatic competitor I always used the round dials. Having said that, if you only have an EFIS you would likely become comfortable with using digital information before too long. I would not rule out aerobatics just because you don't have round dials in your cockpit. Aerobatics make you a better pilot who is comfortable flying in every part of the normal flight envelope and proficient at recovering from an excursion to the outside of the envelope.

Back