What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Halogen landing light replacement?

OPTIMIST

I'm New Here
I have an RV-10 with “EYF 12V 75W HA” halogen reflector bulb landing lights mounted in the wingtips. One of them has recently failed and an interwebs search has yielded LED replacement bulb available (Cree MR16- 75W-P1-30K-15SP- GU53-U1) that draws only 8 watts and is rated at 540 lumens vs. the halogen 75 watts/300 lumens. Both are listed as “narrow spot” beams.

Has anyone done this? Is it as simple of a swap as it appears?

Any problems with heat buildup, switches, radio interference? …Anything?

Seems like the LED’s would be more durable and brighter for a minor cost difference.

Any advice/wisdom from the collective? Still fairly new to VAF but quickly learning to be amazed at the advice and expertise available for the newby like me. Thanks in advance for any input

Hi Adrian
Good luck with the MR16 LED replacement radio noise lottery!

Our Single Spotlights were designed with the same mounting holes as the Van's halogen light brackets. They are 1200 lumens each, and they have the large heatsink on the back of them so that the heat can be removed from the LED.
They are radio/intercom silent and draw one amp each.
Any conventionally shaped MR16 replacement you find will deliver much less light because they can't manage the heat away.

Note that while our single spotlight is much brighter than your old halogen bulb we feel it is the bare minimum of light that you would want to land with.

Come on over and have a look at our range! We have several options for the -10.
Please click the Flyleds logo below.

Thanks! That’s exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. I have had bad experiences changing automotive bulbs to LEDS. This confirms my thoughts regarding the RV-10.

The plane was bought, and originally built in 2011. Do you know if this is within the age range of drop-in M16 replacements that will NOT require a new mounting plate?

Thanks again for your response.

To the best of my knowledge the RV-10 light kit has always used the same mounting setup, so our Single Spots should drop into place.
Thank you, I should word that part of the product page better, as the earlier kits referred to with the different mounting screws have only been found (so far!) on RV-6s.

The wing tip lighting option from vans has not changed. The current plans (OP-36) are dated 2004, so they have not changed. You can still purchase the kit from vans with the MR-16 halogen bulbs. I have an older kit (#356) and it was an easy switch from the MR-16 halogen bulb to FlyLED's single spot, and a vast improvement in color and intensity, not to mention much lower power consumption. And no noise issues. You can find 500 lumen MR-16 led replacement bulbs for $10. Compared to $50 and 1200 lumen for FlyLed. With flyLed you don't have to worry about noise or fit. Although the lamps are not FAA "approved" they are designed for aviation (which is good enough for me, I fly an experimental RV10). Paul also provides excellent support and instructions. It was an easy choice for me. I have 2 FlyLed spots, one in each wingtip, and a Baja Design Led in an Aerosport cowl landing light housing. The runway lights up at night.

Thanks RV10PILOT, the response has been unanimous, I ordered the fouled single spots. Will repost if any surprises surface.

Back