What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap tape question

wnplt

Well Known Member
I’m heading out to pick up the RV7 from the paint shop. I wanted to apply the flap tape before installing the flaps. I have both the vans 3 inch that I heard yellows and gets brittle. I also have the 4 inch 3M from flyboys that is better and will not yellow and get brittle. My question is, am I better to install under the trailing wing skin and trim the excess or install it on the flap itself? Also I bought enough to do the trailing skin and the flap itself. What would be the best way to go about this? Do both the underneath of the skin and the flap or just one or the other? I’m also leaning towards using the flyboys 3M tape.

Thanks...

You will still get some markings on your flap if you install it under the wing skin, I had the same thing and even though my color was silver, still had markings on it. I end up reinstalling on the flap.

on my new plane, I have installed felt tape under the wing skin and seems to be working better.

Tape

I?ve seen what looks like carbon fiber tape on the flap area. It worked well and looked great, but not sure where to get it.

You want the 3M clear paint protection tape. The stuff they use on cars in rock chip areas. It is relatively soft, doesn't wear and won't yellow and dry up like the stuff in the kit. It is better to put it on the flap. If you put it under the wing skin, dirt can get trapped between the surfaces and cause scratching of the paint on the flap. If you use a masking tape guideline to apply, you can't even see the clear tape with the flap retracted.

Be carefull of thumbprints. Any touching of the adhesive side becomes very obvious when applied.

Larry

Last edited:
I tried a suggestion found in a previous post, and applied a strip of Velcro (fuzzy side) to the bottom of the wing skin that contacts the flap. 200 hrs. later- not a scratch or mark. When it eventually wears out, I plan on peeling it off and replacing with new.

+1

I tried a suggestion found in a previous post, and applied a strip of Velcro (fuzzy side) to the bottom of the wing skin that contacts the flap. 200 hrs. later- not a scratch or mark. When it eventually wears out, I plan on peeling it off and replacing with new.

I found 3/4 inch felt tape works best on the underside of the wing skin. Tried all the others.

flap tape

I found 3/4 inch felt tape works best on the underside of the wing skin. Tried all the others.

I found it very difficult to get the 4" wide paint protective tape on my flaps without wrinkles and finger prints. I threw it away and put a strip just under the wing trailing edge.

However, I think I'm going to swap it for felt tape. I think I'm seeing lines on the flaps from the clear tape, although very slight. The felt idea just seems better

Felt tape is a good idea. Recently painted my RV4 and used the 3M paint protective film from Flyboys and Teflon tape under wing skin. Looks and performs great, hardly noticeable. My flap to wing is a tight interface and this combination works well to help reduce friction. As mentioned, use masking tape as guideline for a nice straight edge, float it on wet and work out the air bubbles.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have experience with using Velcro loop on the underside and the flyboys 3m tape on the flap? Leaning that direction.

Felt Tape

I am about to get my RV-10 painted. Do you think the felt tape would be good on the 10 also? Ron, what do you think? Is yours still holding up?

Depending on the wing/flap fit some are very tight and others not so much. The UHMW tape is very slick and allows for the flap to smoothly extend/retract if you have tight fitting flaps, other products that create friction may cause issues. I can't imagine adding something that is 1/16" thick in this area unless your flaps don't fit snugly. Also don't forget that air pressure isn't going to improve the situation. Some folks that have installed the paint protection tape have trouble with binding.

I am about to get my RV-10 painted. Do you think the felt tape would be good on the 10 also? Ron, what do you think? Is yours still holding up?

I wouldn't recommend it. Felt is the perfect material to collect dirt. Once the dirt is collected and embedded in the felt material, you have created a piece of fine grit sandpaper. Other than the 10 or 14, this would be impossible to clean without removing the flap control arms.

Suggest either the 3M tape on the flap or a tape like UHMW or Teflon on the underside of the skin. The can collect dirt, but substantially less than felt.

Last edited:
teflon tape

I ended up putting just a 1/2 inch piece of teflon tape under the trailing edge of the wing so if the flap hits it it slides on that. Two years flying, no issues.

Depending on the wing/flap fit some are very tight and others not so much. The UHMW tape is very slick and allows for the flap to smoothly extend/retract if you have tight fitting flaps, other products that create friction may cause issues. I can't imagine adding something that is 1/16" thick in this area unless your flaps don't fit snugly. Also don't forget that air pressure isn't going to improve the situation. Some folks that have installed the paint protection tape have trouble with binding.

I've got tight fitting gaps on my RV-7. I'm going to use the 3M tape from Flyboys on the flap and teflon tape under the wing skin.

This combo should protect the flap and slide smoothly as they go up and down.

Teflon will prevent the dirt collection that happens on grass strips (I'm based on one) in felt or the fuzzy side of hook and loop. If it lasts 10 more years I'll happily peel off the old 3M tape and replace it. The UHMW tape should be unaffected by UV rays under the wing, so maybe it will last a long time. :)

Teflon Urethane paint

I used a Teflon infused urethane paint (light gray) for my -4 flaps, rolled on with a foam roller. This type paint is used on virtually every heavy jet aircraft flying for interfaces of seals and flight controls. It is nearly indestructible and can be painted over if needed for "refreshing". Mine has been in service for 11 years and doesn't show any marks at all. Since its only seen when flaps are down, I like the slight contrast to my white wings, and its easy to see if they are deployed or fully retracted (electric flaps with no detent). I also put a coat on the underside of the wing skin, inner surfaces of my cowling where it overlaps the cheeks, backside of gear leg fairings where they move during landing ect..I even painted the bottom of my wheel pants where grass ,rocks, and other stuff typically get hard on the paint. Most Teflon paints can be tinted as well, but white and light gray (Boeing 707 gray) are most common.

Fixnflyguy, tell us more about Teflon infused paint. I don’t see much from my search but it looks like DuPont sells this stuff, it seems it’s primarily for leading edges of wings. Do you have a tight fit between your wing trailing edge an flap?

Teflon Paint

The paint I used is made by several companies, here is a link to one made by PPG. https://www.ppgaerospace.com/Produc...-HS-CA8110-Series-Flat-Anti-Chafe-Topcoa.aspx . My upper skins are pre-loaded slightly to the flap L/E as per plans.. This stuff is TOUGH. I procured mine (you only need a couple ounces) from out of date discarded materials at dayjob in heavy aircraft overhaul. This is not paint used on leading edges as you refer,but made for significant chafe/wear areas, and is semi-gloss and easily rolled on with foam roller. Leaves a slightly orange peel texture when applied.

Back