Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Default How Much will a finished 12 sell for?

Here's an interesting question for the group. Now that we know how much it will cost to build an RV-12 (just under $60K, without paint), how much do you guys think a finished 12 would sell for (in this soft market)? The reason I ask is this: I can't afford to keep both the 12 and my RANS S-7S, so one must go. So far I have been unable to sell the RANS( I haven't really tried very hard, yet), but even so, the possibility exists that I might have to sell the 12, if I can't sell the RANS. So, again the question, what will a finished 12 sell for in this market? All opinions appreciated. Steve
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Default RV 12 Sales Price!

I would say 100K!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Default What?

100k?..I would doubt it..We're seeing prices on the fast models around not much more than the cost of the parts.

I seriously doubt my IFR 7a with and IO360 and C/s prop would fetch 100k right now.

Frank
Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM

New S-LSA like the -12 (low wing, Rotax, 110kt cruise) are selling for 100 to $130k, depending on options. Used ones (2-3 yr old, 200-400 hr) are going for $80k.

I'd say $90k - $100k is in the right ballpark for a well built and equipped new -12.

TODR
Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Well mine will be for sale. Hope to have it done by the end of next month. I think I am going to build a 7.

Last edited by smokenjoe50 : 08-12-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM

If there were such a thing as a factory built RV-12 I'd say just under $100K would be the selling price.

While the RV-12 as an LSA is a controlled product it is not a certified product. As such I'd say it will bring less as a result.

This is independent of who built it and how good a job they did.

Folks looking for a "new", two place, trainer aircraft have a lot of $100K options to choose from. The RV-12 has the best performance, etc. but it is still not a "factory" built plane.

For the market segment that doesn't care about factory built $100K will buy a lot of used certified airplane or a very nice RV if they don't mind buying experimental.

Perhaps the fact the RV-12 can be flown sport pilot will add some potential buyers that know they might not pass a medical in the near future. How big that segment is is an open question.

Of course, in any given individual case the price an RV-12 will bring is whatever someone will pay your for it.....
Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Default Just another idea

I'd guess closer to $85K, assuming a decent paint job, and low hours. The composite planes look nice, and will bring more. Pulled rivet planes I don't thinik will bring that much. I hope I am wrong !

John Bender
Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenjoe50 View Post
Well I am building one for sale. This will be a turn key ready to fly. New painted how you want it. Should be done by the end of next month. What should I ask for this plane. I forgot to mention I went with the 495 option.

Thanks, Joe
Mine is for sale also. I would like to trade into a high HP -8 or a HRocket.
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankh View Post
100k?..I would doubt it..We're seeing prices on the fast models around not much more than the cost of the parts.

I seriously doubt my IFR 7a with and IO360 and C/s prop would fetch 100k right now.
LSA prices have been on a different scale than non-LSA prices since day one. I seems to be driven by supply and demand. If you want a LSA, it doesn't matter what a RV-7/8/9 costs, it's not a LSA. Shoot, a working 150 can be had for $20k, but you can't fly it if you need a LSA.

There aren't that many used LSA out there, so prices are high. I suspect that will change in a few years.

TODR
Old 08-12-2009, 03:00 PM

Default Around $100K

A factory-built RANS S-19, similar to the RV-12, sells for $120K (analog panel) and $127K (glass panel). I'd guess a newly-finished -12 will bring around $100K, depending on build quality.