Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 AM
unfluencer

Default What'd you do w/your RV this weekend? (12/14-15/2019)

...getting it started.

I thought a lot about a 3D printed shroud/mount for a GMC507 autopilot controller for my glare shield.

v/r,dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM

I completed the third and final ADSB test flight (FAA PAPR report) and passed. I waited for a 4 hour break in the weather that was good enough to launch and went for it; glad I did. Logbook entry complete. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute

Now I can start having fun again in the RV!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Short local flight, turn about a point, two touch and goes, and one full stop landing. 0.6 Hobbs / 4 Gallons

Spent a little time yesterday working in the hangar and plan to spend this afternoon also in the hagnar.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Default New Panel

Went up for a good 1.5 formation flying with Monk before dropping her off at Monk's shop for a few weeks. New Panel! (Doug's beat me to posting pictures)
G550 Based at VHHH
... or LGB.. or ZHHH... or wherever they tell me to put the thing.
Proudly paid the donation!
USN OEF/OIF Vet
Old 12-15-2019, 12:23 PM

Default KLGB to KCMA

Flew IFR to CMA for breakfast, then IFR back, which makes for a nice little XC due to TEC routing taking us on an excursion around the Bravo airspace for LAX. Fun time and good breakfast!

-Marc
Old 12-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Replied to an email asking for pilots to fly donated Christmas presents over to Treasure Cay, Bahamas. My wife and I had been to the area last year before Dorian hit, and I was happy to be able to come back.

Took out the passenger seat and loaded the 9A down with what I could safely fit. Toys were picked up at KSPG in St Pete where they had been donated to Sol Relief.

Looking down on Treasure Cay. No roofs left intact and trees and debris everywhere.

One other plane on the ramp at Treasure Cay. The old terminal building is destroyed, as is all the other infrastructure at the airport. Just two small RV trailers for the customs people, who were very friendly. Was not charged any fees the entire trip.

I offloaded the toys, ate a picnic lunch, and took off back to Florida. Didn’t make it 20 minutes before I saw a wall of rain and the ADSB weather picture popped up. I had plenty of fuel to get to Ft Pierce as was planned, but not enough to comfortably fly all over picking my way through storm cells, especially with the 40 knot headwind, so I aborted and headed back to Treasure Cay. The forecast did not look good, with a convective line sitting right off the whole east coast of FL and standing still.

My contact with Sol Relief put me in touch with a local contact on Green Turtle Cay, where my wife and I had stayed before, and I jumped on the ferry to go meet “Big Tuna”. He set me up at a large home that had running water and a generator, where 7 other volunteers were staying. They were from a NY carpenters union and were volunteering on Green Turtle helping repair roofs. We also went for a tour around the small island to see some of the damage. Many homes will need to be completely leveled, and the others will at least need new roofs and lots of work. Power is almost exclusively from home generators at the moment. Just getting the massive amount of debris, including boats washed up on shore, cleared out will be a huge task.

Saturday morning awoke to a much better forecast, and took the 10am ferry from Green Turtle back to Treasure Cay and headed for Freeport, Grand Bahama, MYGF, to get fuel and finish my flight plan back to FL. The winds were still 40 knots on the nose so decided I’d be happier with full tanks. The large airport in Freeport is up and running with commercial flights and a tower, but I wasn’t able to get a hold of anybody at either Freeport Approach or Freeport Radio. The main terminal building is in good shape, but the FBO is just a large tent now. Customs was again easy and still no fees charged. I filed my DVFR flight plan back to KFPR, filled out my EAPIS, and called customs in Ft Pierce, and then took off into a 40 knot breeze right down the runway. Think I took off going backwards.

Landing in Ft Pierce. Once again, CBP guy told me the painter’s tape N-numbers were not allowed, and once again I played dumb and apologized. Not worth arguing. Had my first real meal in 36 hours at the airport Tiki.

Flew home to Zephyrhills staying as low as possible to avoid the winds up high, and put her back to bed.

Will definitely be back.

Chris

Last edited by YellowJacket RV9 : 12-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Bought an RV7 QB wing and fuselage, plus the tail and finish kits.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:50 PM

After what felt like a very long break from flying (a whopping 29 days), I went out for couple of steep turns, some slow flight, a couple of stalls and a couple of circuits at my busy home airport today. It's been just a little cold for flying (I fly for fun and don't when it isn't), was about -9C today and the snow was cleared enough that it made for a good flying day.

Good landings today, both at about 59 KIAS on touchdown. Sure have a better time with landings when I'm coming in below 65. Passed 150 hours on the hobbs with this flight, not bad for the first 16 months.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM

Did a 5.5 hr round robin from Tampa up to South Carolina and back to bring my son home from school for Christmas break.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 12-15-2019, 06:59 PM

Default Nothing as Altruistic as what Chris did

I had the hangar open this afternoon when a neighbor drove by and asked if I had plans, which I didn't. I figured he wanted to go for a ride; non-pilot, good guy, and was asking nicely for a ride.

It turns out his wife, who is a grade school teacher, was having her fellow teachers over for brunch and he wanted to know if I could give one a ride.

One ride turned into another for a reluctant flier, which turned into a third ride for a VERY reluctant flier. 1.5 hours in total.

The two reluctant fliers LOVED it. Smooth and clear air, smooth pilot, and super smooth landings. You couldn't ask for better weather for giving someone their first ride!

All three of the ladies were Clemson grads so we circled the Clemson football stadium so they could take pictures, cruised the mountains, and let them fly us around. Fun trip for all of them.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 12-15-2019 at 07:10 PM.