- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:48 PM

Default Cremated Remains Dispenser

I spent a long time searching on this forum and google, but I couldn't find the photo I have been looking for.

There was a photo of an airplane, I think it was a Cub, with a cremated remains dispenser. I wanted to show my son.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Old 03-21-2016, 12:29 AM

Default Try Google ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfinnell View Post
I spent a long time searching on this forum and google, but I couldn't find the photo I have been looking for.

There was a photo of an airplane, I think it was a Cub, with a cremated remains dispenser. I wanted to show my son.

Thank you,
Had to research this recently and found much info on YouTube.
Try "youtube cremains airplane" for starters, but you may find variations. It's a fairly common question.

You might look over the exhibitor list for CopperState Fly-in 2015, there was a booth and he had such a 'dispenser'.
VP-X Sport, Dynon SkyView, VFR day
(FFZ) Mesa, AZ - N234GB -
www.mykitlog.com/garyc
Old 03-21-2016, 02:31 AM

Default Don't open the window on the other side

Don't open the window on the other side of the aircraft,makes a mess inside the a/c .
Old 03-21-2016, 06:07 AM

Default Make your own.

We built one out of a large drink cup that we positioned open end aft and open end covered with plastic wrap held on by a rubber band. The rubber band had a string attached that we pulled from inside the plane. This was all mounted on the strut of a PA-11. The second iteration drilled a hole in the bottom of the cup (facing forward) to make sure all ashes were released when string was pulled. I think in the end it worked fairly well. we had run several test flights with bar-b-q pit ashes but the really ashes do not resemble them so there was a few issues during actual execution. We did avoid ashes in the plane which was our primary measure of success.
I have not thought of a good way to mount the rig on an RV. I will look to see if I can find any pictures of the set-up on the PA-11.
Paid dues yearly since 2007

Last edited by plehrke : 03-21-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:46 AM

Default Remains

A guy from Tx was at our airport in N Fl and he spread ashes of Gerry Mock the lady that was the first female to fly around the world solo.He was flying a Cessna 180.
Bob
Old 03-21-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfinnell View Post

Thank you,
Here is a whole thread on similar things. Post #44 is one that might be interesting. No specific designs as legality might come into play.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=80528

"Site:vansairforce.com bomb bay doors" in Google was the search method. Memory was used to know of its existence. Good luck.

Found a youtube video - nice review, good results, big time investment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApZ9WFW3Vus

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.

Last edited by BillL : 03-21-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 AM

This one attaches to the float fitting on a Legend Cub. It would be relatively easy to develop a similar underwing tube-type dispenser for an RV. Front of the conformal mount would be a cuff ( a J-hook shape) wrapped up around the leading edge. The tail of the mount would bolt into place using the tie down point. I'd use glass or carbon with a 1/4" thick foam core. Make it about 6" wide, with whatever keel is desired to attach the tube. Lay it up over a wing still in the jig; just cover the surface with packing tape. The rest of the device would be pretty much as shown.

With the Cub, a passenger simply reaches down and pulls the trigger loop. An underwing mount would require electrical control. Rotate the release with a MAC servo or Firgelli linear actuator.

Basic principle is simple enough. It's an aluminum tube with hinged doors on each end. A length of landing gear bungee pops opens both doors when the rotary release is pulled, and propeller blast clears the tube.

We load it off the airplane and then hang it on the mount point. A "safety" at one end allows locking that end closed while the other is open for loading with the tube standing on end. Relatives often like to help, which is fine. There is no muss or fuss, so it can be done in public or in private.

I built this one originally for the dedication of the Tuskeegee Airmen Museum at Moton Field; two of the Airmen had asked to be at rest there. The ceremony was scheduled with a large audience, so it had to be right.

It's important to understand that creamains are not really ashes. The cremation process leaves no ash residue of significance. After cooling, what remains are bone fragments. The cremation staff removes foreign material (usually joint replacements and fracture plates/screws), then grinds the fragments in a special machine. When finished, the standard max diameter is a 1/4" fragment. Most technicians will grind almost to powder, but it remains important that you do not allow high speed contact with the tail surfaces. Our testing (the photo you see above) was done with a mix of pea gravel and sticky athletic field marking lime.

There are lots of ways to address the task, but this approach as been entirely dignified and reliable.

Last edited by DanH : 10-31-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 AM

Default Cremated Remains Dispenser

There is a guy here at Stead (KRTS) that built one for his experimental SeaRay. He used 2" alum tube with 12v electric dump valves from the hot rod shop. Apparently the dump valves are used to open exhaust pipes to make more noise. Two switches to open valves, he opens the aft valve first the the forward valve. Mounted on the wing strut. Seems to work well with flour and sand. Dan from Reno
Old 03-21-2016, 12:14 PM

Default On the cheap.

A friend and I built a very inexpensive device from a piece of 6" PVC pipe, about a foot long and duct taped a funnel on one end. From the funnel, we duct taped a 6' section of clear 1" flexible clear hose. We'd fold the clear hose double, to seal off the flow of the contents and tied it there with nylon string. When we arrived over the site, we slowed the Skyhawk down, opened the passenger door and untied the hose and stuck it just outside. within seconds, the cannister was empty.

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Forum Peruser

Default A Venturi and Ol' Uncle Fred

Two thoughts about this topic:

I've often wondered why one couldn't use an old external venturi from a post-WWII Cessna gyro system or similar. You know, the kind of venturi that was attached to the side of Cessnas before vacuum pumps were used for gyro vacuum. Then run a clear hose with a pinch valve from the venturi to a container inside the cabin/cockpit. The suction from the venturi should be enough to suck the remains from the container, which should be vented slightly. This is very similar to what Pierre did.

The other thought is a memory I have from a story in one of the GA magazines about a pair of family members who wanted to honor their deceased relative. They didn't plan ahead and thought they could just open the window of the Cessna and then stick the urn out and let the ashes go to the wind. Only problem was the "wind" blew most of the ashes back into the airplane. Ol' "Uncle Fred" remained in the carpet, upholstery and cracks and crevices of that Cessna for a long time. Uncle Fred's ashes, as are all cremated remains, were quite abrasive, too.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Last edited by rv7boy : 03-21-2016 at 12:35 PM.