-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Default How many hours to wire the system?

How many man hours to completely wire a dual battery, dual bus electrical system for a typical RV installation?

And, how long to install a complete Garmin dual G3X system, dual com, GTN-650, etc., etc.?

We have been told 250 man hours. Is this a bit high?
Old 10-17-2015, 06:42 PM

Default seems high

I'm not to the wiring stage on my RV8 yet, but I recently did a Dual G3x Touch system when I built my Murphy. I also have a two battery, EFII dual bus system, dual EFII electronic ignition, lots of lights, two servo AP, heated seats, smoke system, etc.
I bought all the avionics from Aircraft Spruce and had them make the harness that ties those components together. Money well spent. Of course I still had to actually install all the components and run power and grounds, solenoids and connect to all the engine sensors. I would say I have a maximum of 40 hours in my portion and the Spruce portion saved me at least that much. This is because a lot of time would have been spent studying the G3X installation manual because I am not as familiar with it. For the money spent on the harnesses from spruce, taking into consideration how much all the wire and terminals would have cost me. I would have been paying myself less than $5 an hour to do that portion. I say let the pros do that portion.
But to answer your question, I think that 250 hours is a bit long even for a newbie who hasn't wired up a car stereo. If a pro is saying 250 hours labor...then I would call that outrageous.
Just my opinion, I hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:02 PM

Thanks. I thought 250 hours was a bit high. Especially for a shop that knows what they are doing.
But that was for the complete package, wiring the entire plane from spinner to tail, wing tip to wing tip, plus all avionics installed.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Hey Myron, check your PM's.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvisnext View Post
I'm not to the wiring stage on my RV8 yet, but I recently did a Dual G3x Touch system when I built my Murphy. I also have a two battery, EFII dual bus system, dual EFII electronic ignition, lots of lights, two servo AP, heated seats, smoke system, etc.
Do you have any details on your power distribution system that you're willing to share? Your setup sounds very silar to what I'm planning, except I'm baselining dual a AFS package instead of the G3X.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:24 PM

Default System

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
Do you have any details on your power distribution system that you're willing to share? Your setup sounds very silar to what I'm planning, except I'm baselining dual a AFS package instead of the G3X.

Thanks!
pM'd you rmartingt
Old 10-17-2015, 10:15 PM

Have Stein Air do the wiring harnesses. I spent 2 years on and off wiring my 9A and I'm in the electronics industry. I had issues with combining 2 comm radios. Danny at Stein had a beautiful harness back to me in 4 days. I should have had them harness the entire panel for me. Mark C.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:54 PM

Yes, Steinair does good work.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:25 AM

Default Caw-cips or cavior.

Just a personal comment. It really is not that hard to wire, and configure the whole airframe and instrument panel, and when you get it done and draw up the plot of it all, you will know every peace, wire and how and why it works the way it does. That will make problem solving both on the ground and in the air a lot quicker and more comfortable down the road.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 10-18-2015, 10:07 AM

Design and scratch fabrication of the panel and all avionics plus 12v power systems wiring totaled 500 hrs for me. Around one calendar year.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Yeah. The boss got a Silhouette Cameo 4 Xmas 2019.