Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 PM

Default Help with a comparison to flying the RV-9A

Good evening everyone,

My pilot wife Kathy and I may have found an absolutely beautiful RV-9A. We have previously owned a Diamond DA-40 and a Grumman Tiger. If any of the pilots on the board have flown both the RV-9A and the Diamond and/or the Grumman we would appreciate your thoughts on how similar or differently they fly. This is our first adventure with the RV aircraft. We want this to be our "keeper airplane".

Thanks to everyone,

Tom and Kathy Branton
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM

Default words???? comparison??? we're Gobsmacked (don't you love those Brit words)

you don't need words,...

you need A RIDE!!!

certainly, where you are, you can find someone to give you a ride,... guess the owner of the 9A you are considering is not able to at this time

Ok,... we'll admit.... haven't flown the others,... but for the 9,.. you can pretty much go with Van's published performance numbers,.. and you can find some threads on maintenance costs

Hope you sort through your questions and become a proud new owner of a 9

p.s welcome to the forum
Phase 2 has started!
Thanksgiving time, is dues time for us
Old 12-19-2013, 07:02 PM

While I was slowly building my 9A io-320, I purchased a Grumman Yankee with a 150hp o-320 because of its characteristics. Ground handling is similar since they both rely on differential braking, but the 9A flies 30kts faster and lands 7kts slower. You will love the 9A.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:12 PM

Yep! I have, and my -9a is not for sale for anything less than $160K! More similar to the DA-40 than the Grumman. But way better than both by far.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)

Last edited by scard : 12-19-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM

Buy now compare later! 9 is surely easier to fly then C152

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 PM

DA-20 Katana for 150Hp FP, DA-40 for 180Hp CS.

TODR
Old 12-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Bump to top ....all kidding aside.... how about some words,...

need to help an undecided, new person to the forum, to sort through the 9A
Phase 2 has started!
Thanksgiving time, is dues time for us
Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 PM

Default Consider posted advice

Mr. Branton:

While the advice posted to date may appear flip, it's not; to my mind, the posters have provided sage advice:

1. Find an amenable owner and fly in a 9a.

2. The performance specs posted on Vans homepage http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv9.htm are accurate, within stated limitations.

Kudos to you for looking for someone to help with a pre-buy inspection. One discussion topic with the inspector would be your maintenance resources, and your druthers.

Very good luck to you
RV10 sold (miss that one too!)
RV-14A build underway
Old 12-20-2013, 08:29 PM

Thanks and I did not take any of the responses as being flip. Gosh, I have learned that often the most direct and simple response is the most informative. I appreciate all the responses and learned from every one. It's a tough question I asked and even though I am still a low time pilot I appreciate it's hard to describe how planes differ in their flight characteristics. Right now I am trying to learn as much as I can about the RV-9A to make a good purchase decision. Long, short, or the great American novel, all comments are appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Tom
Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 PM

Tom,

I have about 130 hours in my 9A and I still get a grin every time I take off. I probably have approaching 500 hours in a Cherokee 140 and bits and pieces of time varying from an hour to 40 or 50 hours in a variety of aircraft from C-172's, a couple of RV-6s, to a Pitts, and nothing is anywhere near as enjoyable as the 9. It is well balanced in all three axis, it does what you tell, and so far it has never surprised me. Stalls are docile, straight forward affairs, and don't tell anyone, but landing the 9A is a piece of cake - just learn the attitude and speed necessary to set it down on the mains, and you'll be making great landings.

In all seriousness, find someone to take you up in a 9A and you'll be sold just on the handling. When you find out how economical it is to fly you'll be laughing after you fill your tanks. It's cheaper by about 2 to 2.5 gph than the Cherokee 140 and 35-40 knots faster. So far I have not been able to burn as much fuel as the 140 doing 100-105 knots. It is a real pleasure to fly and the reason I think you're seeing so few comments is because there is no comparison.

If you find yourself in Richmond, VA, i'd be delighted to take you up for an hour on me and even more if you wanted to help out at the fuel pump. The 7 is a bit faster, the 8 is sexier, the 10 holds more people and the 3 and the 4 are sportier, but if you're looking for a XC plane that's fast, economical, and just plain fun to fly, the 9 is in a league of its own. I'm dead serious - if you want to see how much fun the 9 is and how well it handles, I'll be glad to give you all the time you need to make up your mind.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com