Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcladrv View Post
I learned from Garmin support that there is no provision to be able to download the logbook information in a format that another program can use. Apparently, it was based on old software that is not scheduled to be upgraded.

Taking screenshots of the pages worked for me. The only other opton is to write it down manually.

Mike
This is the first plus to my hybrid installation that has 1 - GDU 370 and 1 - GPSMap 696 with XM weather. I didn't have a choice as I already had the 696 and couldn't afford a two display G3X system. Anyway, I routinely download the flight log from my 696 and use it to update my actual logbook. I keep the printed log spreadsheets in a notebook as a backup to my logbook.

Curious that Garmin doesn't support writing the data to the SD card for input to their FlightBook software. I was going to look into using the SD card to transfer the data to Flight book so I wouldn't have to pop the 696 out of its mount every time I updated the log book.
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier?
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, 2 screen Garmin G3X Classic, GTN 650, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009
EAA Chapter 21
Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Thumbs up Flying Coupled VNAV Descents from Cruise Altitude

Cruising cross country up high in thin air is hard to beat, but eventually you have to figure out when to start your descent. G3X makes this really easy - and allows you to stay autopilot coupled in the VNAV descent (just like G1000 aircraft).

Here is an example VNAV setup screen from my Oshkosh 2011 trip. I will fly a coupled VNAV descent from my cruise altitude into RIPON. This VNAV setup gets me down from 9500' to 1800' at 1 nm prior to RIPON. Note that I am 1 hour out, and the VNAV descent begins in 35 mins.

Using the autopilot mode keys on the PFD, arm the vertical mode for VNAV and wait for it to capture. Here is a screen I captured at 55 nm outside RIPON just as the VNAV descent mode transitioned from armed to active. You will notice that the VNAV vertical deviation bar is now shown to the left of the altitude tape and the selected descent rate (-300 fpm) is bugged on the VSI.

Nothing to do for the next 55 nm but kick back, manage power and mixture, and watch out for OSH inbound traffic.

5 mins out from RIPON I am still on the coupled VNAV descent at 300 fpm and the vertical deviation on the VNAV profile is zero. I am armed for the 1800' selected altitude capture which will occur right on plan at 1 nm before RIPON.

All of this was done with just the built-in GPS and VFR flight plan. You don't need an IFR navigator to have this kind of capability with a G3X.

Steve
Flying G3X since May 2009
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM

Default RS-232 Config with GTN 650

Here’s a tip that might intuitive to some, but it wasn’t for me and it deals with setting up the RS-232 channel between the GX3 and a GTN 650 (probably applies to the 750 as well). Anyway, IAW the G3X install manual I had run a 2-condutor shielded wire from the PFD #2 Serial port (pins 14 & 44) to the 650’s Serial #3 (P1001 pins 6 & 44) and configured both for the MAPMX format. But I couldn’t get the channel to “green up” on the G3X’s configuration page which would indicate that the boxes were talking to each other. After hours of trouble shooting (I’ll spare you the details) it turns out my problem was I had both units in config mode while trying to get the channel to operate. Once I returned the 650 to normal operation and accepted the data bases, the channel gave me the green checkmark. The moral of the story, configure the 650’s RS-232 and ARINC 429 channels first, then exit out of config mode and then continue with the G3X’s set-up.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 01-28-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM

If everything appears normal right up to the point where you need to calibrate your AHRS/Magnetometer and your calibration attempts instantly fail, you most likely either have a missing, disconnected, miswired or bad config module in the GSU73's EMS connector.

The good news is that the config module in the PFD connector can be used in the GSU73. The one in the PFD is not required to get the system to calibrate. To maintain full LRU capability however all config modules must be present and working properly.

Here is a quote from Matt at Garmin regarding the GSU73's config module:

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert
SNIP...... We actually just added a config mode status indication last week to show the health of the GSU 73 config module, to help identify this very situation. You can look for it in the next software update later this spring.

- Matt
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 03-11-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM

Be mind full that the 12v sensor power output of the GSU73 has limits on what it will drive.

I can tell you this:

1ea Red Cube Fuel Flow Transducer and
2ea Princeton capacitive fuel level converters
will cause the sensor power to shut down

1ea Red cube and
1ea Priceton converter
works fine.

I recommend you power your Priceton converters from the main bus and not the GSU73...
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Default Put that PFD #2 to good use!

A couple of people have asked me how I got the full screen MFD functions to display on my second PFD like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uilR4M79bfc

It is actually quite simple and the G3X allows you to switch the second PFD between several modes of operation:

From the install manual Rev G Page 11-15

PFD2 Layout–Controls the screen layout for PFD2 (for 3-display systems only).
  • Auto–PFD2 is a dedicated full-screen PFD display (when not in reversionary mode).
  • Split Screen–PFD2 always remains in split-screen mode.
  • Full PFD/MFD–PFD2 displays a page sequence that includes a full-screen PFD display as well as
    full-screen MFD pages.
  • User Selected–(default setting) Allows changing PFD2 Layout in normal mode from the Display
    Setup page in the main menu.
Full PFD/MFD is how I have mine configured. This gives me the ability to either use it as a second PFD or MFD with a twist of the knob. The extra screen space makes it nice for having a map on one, traffic on the other or weather or however you want to display the massive amount of info available.

You can use the MFD and the PFD#2 as another MFD at the same time. In our small SBS cockpits the PFD#2 is quite usable from the pilot's seat!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)

Last edited by Brantel : 03-11-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
A couple of people have asked me how I got the full screen MFD functions to display on my second PFD like in this ....

You can use the MFD and the PFD#2 as another MFD at the same time. In our small SBS cockpits the PFD#2 is quite usable from the pilot's seat!

First off, nice work on the panel and thanks for the video... Keep em' coming. Can't wait to fly the G3X!

Second, i kind of lost you in the above... what are you running (from left to right) and what do you refer to them as. I assume these are all GDU 37x ?? From my g1000 experience I would refer to the left as the PFD and the other two as MFD's. but you are referring to two PFD's, which threw me for a loop...
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

1974 Bellanca Super Viking - N16AW - Flying
RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - N6801N - Sold
1956 C-182 - N744W - Sold
Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 PM

GDU 370 or 375 means nothing other than one has an XM receiver and one does not. This does not dictate their function. Their function is determined by a jumper built into the harness connector.

Here is the typical verbage for a 3 screen G3X system:

Left most panel PFD#1
Middle panel nested up against the above MFD
Right most panel PFD#2

Of course if you set up for the pilot on the right side, this is reversed and you can put the MFD on the opposite side of the PFD#1 if you want.

The PFD#1 always has the flight instruments displayed on it

The MFD is a typical MFD but will revert to a display for the flight instruments if the PFD#1 fails.

The PFD#2 is user configurable with the options I listed in the above post. You might say it can have multiple personalities.....

For a 2 screen setup, all is the same except you delete PFD#2

For a 1 screen setup, delete the MFD and PFD#2 and the PFD#1 will always run in split screen mode
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)

Last edited by Brantel : 03-11-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 PM

Default G3X Survival...

Back to lurking and working. Health problems resolved. Now it's time to graduate from a PA28R and fly something fun...

Anyway, I got great responses from my questions on the G3X system from both Stein and Tim at Garmin. I'm going with "ask someone smart" as my personal G3X survival tip...
Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Default G3X Tutorial Videos

I just returned home from an awesome four days at OshKosh in the Garmin TeamX booth. It was a real pleasure to talk to so many of you guys in the RV and Vans AirForce community.

Some of you guys asked if Garmin had any videos or webinars you could watch to help understand what features and capabilities there are in the G3X system.

Luckily both Matt and Steve have already recorded some videos to help with this, so I thought I'd go ahead and post them here.

Here is a link to our G3X media site with 9 tutorial videos:
http://www.garmin.com/us/products/in...viation/media/

I was great to meet so many of you in person this last week, and I'm looking forward to officially joining the RV building community a little bit later this year!
-Joe
rv7garage.com
Website name doesn't match my airplane, long story...