What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Knots or MPH?? That Is The Question

Do you use Knots , MPH, or Kilometers To Describe Your Speed?

• I use Knots.

Votes: 279 74.2%
  • I use MPH

Votes: 93 24.7%
  • I use kilometers per hour.

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
It's all relative

I fly left seat. Ann flies right seat.
Left side of the panel is knots. Right side is mph.
She goes faster than I do, but has further to go.
We usually get there about the same time.

In a 4-place airplane I always fly in the front seat so I get there first. :D

Airworthiness standards for Normal, Utility, Acrobatic and Commuter Category Airplanes, Title 14, Part 23, specify that distances are to be in nautical miles, and speeds in knots. From a practical point of view, a nautical mile is identical to a minute of latitude, a distance in nautical miles on a chart can easily be measured by using dividers and the latitude scales on the sides of the chart. OK, now I have identified myself as someone who flew long before GPS.

You mean people actually did aviate prior to GPS? How crude! :)

Airworthiness standards for Normal, Utility, Acrobatic and Commuter Category Airplanes, Title 14, Part 23, specify that distances are to be in nautical miles, and speeds in knots. From a practical point of view, a nautical mile is identical to a minute of latitude, a distance in nautical miles on a chart can easily be measured by using dividers and the latitude scales on the sides of the chart. OK, now I have identified myself as someone who flew long before GPS.

If we are to use airworthiness standards as the metric for appropriateness, despite lack of applicability to EAB, then I believe we should at least be consistent in their application...

ELT Ant locations
Certified GPS ant installation requirements
Pilot Operating Manuals
Adherence to engine RPM and other limits such as Vne
Max Gross Weight deviations
etc...

my .01

I used primer...

...have tricycle gear, a slider canopy and use knots for my airspeed.

There that covers all of them.

Has anyone notice the performance numbers published by Van's Aircraft for our airplanes is in MPH? Hmmmm?

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-6per.htm

Why would we change what the engineers of our aircraft have determined to be a better unit of measure? ;)

I used both actually. Knots to flight plan and cruise. MPH to land.
My airspeed indicator has MPH on the outer (easy to read) scale so I could quickly verify my numbers against Vans.
402 hours later I glance at it occasionally like when in turbulence or while in the pattern. I think most of fly by the seat of our pants after a while anyway.

Back