-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM

I started flying airplanes at the age of 16....by the time I had 17, I had aquired my PPL...
As for building airplanes, I started around the age of 18....worked for a kit aircraft company! Now studying A&P and finishing it at the end of May!

I just started building myself an RV-9A and as of now I am 22... so I guess I must be in the youngest guys out here! loll
Old 01-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Age Is Only A Number

By a curious twist of fate, I had to wait until I retired from the Air Force to learn how to fly. But since I figure I'll live until I'm 135 (or until the day before my 62d birthday this year...12/21/12) I'm not worrying about the calendar.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 PM

I got my ppl sometime in my 40's (mid 90s). I'd been flying hang gliders since my late 20's but my knees, which never were great, were taking a beating and I didn't want to upgrade to titanium landing gear, so I quit flying for while. I really missed flying and on a whim stopped at the local airport and took a lesson, which led to the ppl.

As for building, I started in 03 at age 52. I took a few years off from building - you know "life intervened" but I'm back at it now and expect I'll see my 9A fly when I'm 61 (this summer). I probably would have build a 6A back in the late 80's, when I had the time and the money and no spouse to approve or disapprove but I didn't know about Van's, the EAA etc.

From the looks of things I'm the oldest guy to respond but I can't imagine that's anywhere near the case. And while no one asked, I'm seriously considering becoming a repeat offender after the 9A is done.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 01-30-2012, 01:56 PM

Default Building in 3 decades

I started my RV-8 in March, 1998 at the age of 48 and flew it for the first time July 3, 2011. Building spanned my late 40's, 50's and early 60's. It was worth the long build, which i enjoyed almost as much as I love flying it. Now, what kind of Experimental LSA to build?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 PM

PPL at 28 started RV build at 29. Didnt know I loved aviation until recently (didnt grow up around any aviation influences really) otherwise I probably would have started sooner.
https://N42BU.com
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 PM

I earned my PPL at age 18 when I was a senior in High School. I subsequently became a CFI and started building my RV-7 at age 23. I'm now 25 and about to start on the Canopy. Last year I married and have a goal of finishing the airplane before having kids. I think I'll be 50 years old when I finish it if we don't wait
N781TD
RV-7
First Flight - April 12, 2015

Construction Log
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Default 9

Started building an RV-6 with my dad when i was 9. never finished that one. started another RV-6 with my dad when i was 11. never finished that one either. Started my own RV-10 in 2007 at 29 didnt finish that one either. bought a partial RV-8 kit in 2009 at 31 didnt finish that one either. gave up on building and bought a completed RV-8. started flying as a passenger with dad at age 8. PPL at 19. Comm,CFI, CFII,MEI at 22.

one of these days I will start a project and finish it. maybe.....
Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Default So far it looks like I'm the oldest !!!!

Got the books and started studying when I was fourteen , but then I got a girlfriend , then married , then a family , then got them educated , then started my own business , then thinking about retirement . decided it's time to learn to fly and build my own plane .

Started the build of the 9a three weeks before my 68th birthday. Got my licence four months later. I've just celebrated my 70th birthday and have been flying the 9a for nine months now .

Bob
Old 01-30-2012, 06:06 PM

I got to get back to the RV12 group where I am one of the younger ones. PPL in 1987, started my build last year at age 73. Thought that was old, but not so among the RV12 group. Having so much fun, am already planning for my next build!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 PM

I started taking lessons at 16 but quit because of the lack of funds. Got my PPL at 44 and started my RV-9A at 53. First flight when I was 59 and that was 8 months ago. Flying again at 60 and wish I could have done it years earlier.