Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotian View Post
As I sat in the dentist chair as they drilled away at my cavity today, it made me want to drill some RV-8 holes as well. For about 2 months I have put the build on hold because me (a newby) has been stuck at step 2 on the front spar assembly. Along with my stuckness is the fear that I have, or will mess **** up. If anyone could help describe that step a little more clearly for me I would appreciate it so much!

Newby builder in a chilly garage,

Ian

Make your down time more productive, visit some other builders. I don't know the activity in Findlay or Toledo, but there is plenty of activity in Columbus. There are two of us at Delaware that are about 90% done with RV-10s.

Brent Owens RV-8 is just wrapping up his Phase I is at Buckeye Exec.

Plus there are many other flying RVs in the area.

Sign up for the Ohio RVators mailing list on Yahoo to get notifications which of the local airports will be invaded by dozens of RVs each weekend.

bob
Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 AM

Don't be afraid of making mistakes because you will, just like many others here, It is part of the learning curve. Just accept this fact and have fun. First thing you did right is asking a question here! lots of incredibly talented peps here. Look at the (show us your day job thread) by the way, I messed up my HS too!

Last edited by bret : 01-18-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Default Been there, done that...

Ian,

A week or so ago, I was right where you are now. I've built a RV-4 empennage and started wings before, but it's been long enough ago that I'm having to relearn some "tricks of the trade". I broke out my edge deburring tool like the one you have, my maroon schotchbrite, and my die grinder with 2" scotchbrite wheel.

First, it was obvious that the 2" wheel was too large for the VS rib holes. Save that one for the wing ribs and the the thicker skins (I do the 0.016 rudder skins with just a piece of marroon pad.) There are 1" wheels you can get for the die grinder and they would work fine, but I'm out.

I too was getting rough edges with the edge deburring tool, but it turned out to be I was going too fast (about like using an egg beater), causing it to "chatter". When I slowed down to one or two seconds per turn in the hole, I got much nicer results, requiring only touch up with the maroon pad to finish.

Hope this helps!

Construction Log
Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Default on the right path!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
Ian,

A week or so ago, I was right where you are now. I've built a RV-4 empennage and started wings before, but it's been long enough ago that I'm having to relearn some "tricks of the trade". I broke out my edge deburring tool like the one you have, my maroon schotchbrite, and my die grinder with 2" scotchbrite wheel.

First, it was obvious that the 2" wheel was too large for the VS rib holes. Save that one for the wing ribs and the the thicker skins (I do the 0.016 rudder skins with just a piece of marroon pad.) There are 1" wheels you can get for the die grinder and they would work fine, but I'm out.

I too was getting rough edges with the edge deburring tool, but it turned out to be I was going too fast (about like using an egg beater), causing it to "chatter". When I slowed down to one or two seconds per turn in the hole, I got much nicer results, requiring only touch up with the maroon pad to finish.

Hope this helps!
Well it feels good to be one the correct path then! Today we got a die grinder and I already had wheels to put on it so we tried to make due with the softest of the ones I had..... Hope this looks alright, My step dad did the die grinding on the holes while i finished the edges of all the parts. I think it all worked out well, but now that one attachment is worn out time for a new one.

I just posted on my website http://www.pilotian.com all the pictures but here are some that pertain to what I am trying to explain! Thanks guys,

and this

Ended with a pile of these!

Now pondering on what to do next as I wait to bend the front spars with a friend that knows how to do it (I dont!!!!)

Thanks for the help guys appreciated it!

N527DH (reserved) RV-8
Tail Kit: 80% done

Follow my flying journey on PilotIan.com
Twitter: ianhoyt
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 AM

If I were using a die grinder to finish the edges of holes in empennage ribs, this is the wheel I'd use.

Construction Log
Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Yep, only way to go. Makes fast work of perfectly smooth lightening holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
If I were using a die grinder to finish the edges of holes in empennage ribs, this is the wheel I'd use.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:40 PM

Default Back Into Building

Consider that if you make a mistake, you will KNOW that it's been fixed correctly. I'm sort of sure about the spam cans I rent at our flying club since with have an A&P and an IA, but I've gotten onto planes built by Boeing or Airbus that make me wonder mightily.

Just a fun fact...earlier in my career I was asked to to a manufacturing quality assessment at one of the AF's principal depots. I picked out 25 different parts at random from the "complete" pile (not really a pile) and was amazed to find that NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM met all the specifications for the part. But they were ready to go into aircraft. I reported my first day's findings at the end of the day, and the person in charge thanked me and I was notified that I had been re-assigned to another project starting the very next day.

So make mistakes, ask people, but be sure you're happy with the fix since you're the one who's going to be flying that plane.