Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N395V View Post
I wouldn't waste my time. He obviously doesn't want to answer any questions.

Like it or not it's a buyers market and part of selling a plane is dealing with tire kickers. You just never know when a tire kicker with "dumb" questions has a pocket full of cash and will turn into a buyer.

Based on the comments in the ad I would wonder if he really has a personality that lends itself to good judgement which I thnk is essential in doing a good job building a good quality aircraft.
I agree, if he doesn't want to do through the process of selling it then dont put it on the market.
RV-10 Purchased flying.. Panel upgrade complete.
G3X/Dynon/TT
All new interior complete.
Flyin like a dream.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 AM

It's fair to say the Rocket is a no nonsense plane, sounds like this owner is too.

I have no problems with the add what so ever. Been the seller before and understand where he's coming from. If it takes longer to sell but weeds out some of the tire kickers, well worth it IMHO.

If you're desperate to sell I wouldn't write an add like this, I'm guessing he isn't in a hurry.

-4 bought flying
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 AM

I have sold planes before and they have always ended up in good homes with great new owners. All is good. However the process of getting these good new owners can be frustrating. I have had people purchase airline tickets to come see my plane, go for a ride and a free lunch, take half a day of my time, and then tell me that they are not really in a position to purchase an aircraft, they just like spending time with airplanes! I might not have phrased the ad the way this seller did but I can certainly understand why he did it. It looks like a nice airplane and it is priced right. If you are serious call him and offer to pay his fuel and time, refundable on purchase. Good Luck and I hope you become a new and active rocket owner.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Martin : 12-07-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 PM

I had a line on a plane once that I really liked; it fit my mission requirement perfectly, was reasonably priced, and was even local. After the seller jerked me around on the phone a bit, I stopped returning his calls and ended up purchasing another plane. You want to feel trust with a guy that you are purchasing an airplane from; the question you have to ask yourself is does this ad give you a warm fuzzy about not just the plane, but the current owner of it?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM

The ad says it all, if you are interested go see it, if not, don't waste my time, I think brutal honestly is a good policy, I have an RV and I thought it was quite funny,
Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
I had a line on a plane once that I really liked; it fit my mission requirement perfectly, was reasonably priced, and was even local. After the seller jerked me around on the phone a bit, I stopped returning his calls and ended up purchasing another plane. You want to feel trust with a guy that you are purchasing an airplane from; the question you have to ask yourself is does this ad give you a warm fuzzy about not just the plane, but the current owner of it?
maybe it's a good airplane. Maybe the seller doesn't want the airplane to be nitpicked apart because he knows it has issues.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Default Rocket Ad

I don't like everyone with whom I have to do business. I just have to trust them enough with what I can't check for myself to not get completely screwed. Whenever I go to buy something I have the money arranged up front (as much as possible) and have done my research, as well.

The seller may be a prize jerk or he may be protecting himself from a bunch of prize jerks masquerading as buyers. Who cares? Focus on the deal. Friendliness, congeniality, and a warm, fuzzy personality may be nice if you want to hang around with someone, but if you're doing business with someone you want to focus on value for dollar spent.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Don't Judge a Book by its Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
.......Would any of you respond to this ad?.....
I would respond to that ad, and quickly. Our world is over populated with smooth talking, persuasive hacks who talk a better game than they can actually deliver. My gut tell me this guy is an above average craftsman with an exceptional airplane who has little patience for time wasting Lookie Lous. When I sold my exceptionally restored 1966 C150 a few years ago, I demanded a premium price and priced it higher than almost all other C150's listed in Trade-A-Plane that particular year and month. In the end, only serious buyers showed up. Well, I got that premium price by being blunt and to most potential buyers, maybe a little bit off putting. My advice to you is this....check out that airplane! The builder values his time and obviously takes pride in his airplane the same ways I do. Knowing how I feel about idle time wasting chit chat, I am inclined to instinctively respect his curmudgeonly mindset.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 12-07-2011, 02:18 PM

I can say this, it's one heck of a lot easier to deal with folks who are RV'ers than that vast unwashed public that might just be starting to dip their toes in.

Dale Walters of this forum bought my "baby" 5 weeks ago and he is not a builder but knew more about RV's than I ever will. He asked lots of questions but they were smart questions if you know what I mean. A more honest and pleasant guy to do business with would be hard to find.

And then... I bought David Domeier's -7a last week and again, very knowledgable, honest and easy to work with, even flew it out here from MO, in the middle of the winter for me because my medical is on hold.

RV-7a 707DD Bot from David Domeier 12/01/11
Lycoming IO-360 Catto 3 blade Panel upgrade in progress

RV6a 18XP 1st flite 03/21/07 sold to Dale Walter 10/22/2011
Superior IO-360, Hartzell Blended, GRT/Dynon

Happily "autopaying" DR

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."

Mark Twain
Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Most people can tell the difference between a persuasive hack and a trustworthy person, but that usually comes from asking questions. If the seller isn't interested in answering questions then that would be an immediate red flag in my opinion. Others may disagree.