What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Going to Sedona

jerryab

Flying from Albuquerque to Sedona, Wednesday, April 8, 2009 in my RV6A. Wonder if there are any RV'rs at the airport or vicinity. Also, I'm from NW Arkansas, is there anything I need to know about enroute or on arrival to Sedona. Will spend Wednesday evening and then proceed to Tucson for the weekend.

Jerry R. Martin
N331RD

Flying to SEZ

is there anything I need to know about enroute or on arrival to Sedona.

Sedona is one beautiful place. The airport is on a plateau that can make for some interesting up/downdrafts on final. Be aware that the runway has a nearly 2% slope, Runway 03 being uphill. That makes for a mix of traffic landing uphill and departing downhill. Keep in mind that the airport is at 4830 feet, pay attention to density altitude.

Have fun and enjoy the scenery!

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Dinner?

Two Sedona dining suggestions.

For a good pizza try The Hideaway Restaurant on Oak Creek just south of the 'Y' on hwy 179. Nice view of Oak Creek and assorted rock features like Snoopy Rock from their creekside deck. They also make a very good antipasta salad and other Italian food.

If you're looking for a good steak served with a local flair try the Cowboy Club on hwy 89a just north of the 'Y'.

I've never had a bad meal at either of these places and the prices are very reasonable.

Wind

You'll enjoy Sedona. It the home of the mythical strongest point of harmonic convergence on the earth. So, you'll see a lot of interesting people:eek:

The runway is long. Come in high and avoid the ends of the runway. Also, get a wind check before you get there and have an alternate in mind. The winds can be brutal and the runway ends can cause unrecoverable rotors.

Coming from Albuquerque, you'll be dropping past the rim South of Flagstaff. We usually cross at about 8500-8000 before really dropping down. Traffic is generally landing runway 3, takeoff runway 21 unless winds really dictate. However, not everyone follows this, so pay attention to the common frequency.

There are some RVs in Cottonwood and a new -10 in Sedona, as well as Brad's -6A being repaired there. I'd drop in and visit you myself but I'm in school and won't be free until at least 3pm; probably later. But enjoy your flight.

Overnight stay

I appreciate all of the information, been flying 40 years but I understand one can't get enough knowledge about new places. Can anyone suggest a place to stay overnight, and are there hangers available for overnight?

There is a great Inn right at the field. They will come get you, but it is a very short walk. The restaurant at the field is first rate as well.

Jerry,

The hotel within walking distance of the terminal building (about 1/4 mile) is the Sky Ranch Lodge (http://www.skyranchlodge.com/) and people seem to be quite happy with it. Also as has been mentioned the Sedona airport restaurant is right next door and serves all day. You can rent a car in the terminal building, even a Jeep if you want to explore some. No hangars for overnight parking. There are 8 RV's on the field right now that I'm aware of. People seem to be up there more in the morning. Winds less than 10 knots we take off on 21 and land on 3. Left hand traffic. If you land on 21 manage your speed. We had a Cessna 182 over run and flip on it's back last Friday. On your way over make sure you swing approx 10 miles sw of Winslow and circle Meteor crator. Its only about 5 minutes out of your way. Have a safe flight.

We enjoyed a trip there a few years ago

I found landing on the plateau in my Mooney intimidating to the point that I came in hot and had to go around. A little embarrassing:eek:

No logical excuse for it, I just expended too much brain power thinking about the consequences of off the runway, rather than focusing on the runway.

A little like the runway on Catalina Island only more.

We arranged a car rental though the FBO and they delivered the car to the airplane when we parked, before we were done getting out of the airplane. That was cool.

Stayed at the hotel next the the airport. Relatively sparse accommodations but quiet with a great view.

Spectacular area all around.

Thanks to everyone

I appreciate all of the great information on Sedona, we may stay two nights now. As for landing on a mesa, to paraphrase Helen Keller, a landing is either an exciting adventure, or nothing at all. Looking forward to an adventure! Not as bad as some places I landed in Vietnam, and hopefully no one will shooting!!

Jerry Martin
N331 RD

Back