Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
What type of printer would you recommend for someone who has no experience with 3-D printers? Are there instruction manuals to get a person started?
It sounds like fun.
I am very happy with my "Original Prusa I3 MK3S+". Zero 3-D printer experience and I had great results right out of the box. I did get the kit which took some assembly but it wasn't difficult. I follow Prusa's recommendations and have been able to print many materials with good to great results including some very flexible filaments.
VAF Paid - Annual Autodraft
Old 01-09-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
What type of printer would you recommend for someone who has no experience with 3-D printers? Are there instruction manuals to get a person started?
It sounds like fun.
If you built an RV, you can build a Prusa printer. That lowers the cost a lot, and building it is fun. The assembly instructions are extremely good.

I'd recommend going with something that other people you will ask for support from have. I understand that Ender makes some pretty good printers too, but I have no first-hand experience with them. I believe they need more tweaking to get the same output quality as the Prusa, but once tweaked they are just as good.

Avoid the cheap Chinese printers, at least until you've built something better first and learned how they work and how to maintain them. Once you get good at this, you can probably tweak any of the cheap ones up to being usable, but out-of-the-box they'll frustrate you until you end up pitching it in the bin.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:49 PM

Default Garmin 660 GPS Dock

some progress but the tricky part is the upcoming release lever.

in progress image....

release lever added. there is more moment on this lever because of offset button position than the 760 Aera but the release loading is not high so it should be fine. I'll finish up the details tomorrow and make a test print. I'm 3 days into this one but I did manage to install a new dishwasher for my wife today.

day 4 (total design hours to date = 14), printing first evaluation piece. this one has the famous .25 inch raised edge and is minimum outer dimensions.

not too bad for a first print. the release lever is very good. that's the key. first article inspection ongoing. I usually find a couple things I would like to change. I may be able to dial this one in perfectly on the second print. it's looking good. the minimum outer dimensions are 4.25 x 6.046 inch, or have any custom size you wish. this GPS and dock will be going back to the owner by the end of the week.

who would have ever thought custom GPS Docks would be possible and people would find a use for them.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-15-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:52 PM

Default Loft post brackets

I printed a couple brackets to make sure I could fit it correctly. then I had them cut from 5/8 plate steel. they turned out nicely the first time. I emailed the bracket file to the vendor and then picked them up when they were finished. the vendor even put them in the trunk of my car in white reinforced plastic bags. like a heavy duty shopping bag. each bracket weights 10 lb. there are multiple methods for securing these posts but this was the easiest for me and hopefully I will not be tripping over it. I am convinced that printing these brackets firstly saved me time and money.

nice weather in Cincy today.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-11-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
It sounds like fun.
I went with an Anycubic I3M and it's been great. I have zero complaints.

Went fairly budget to see if 3D printing was something I was interested in..

The printer paid for itself in the first month I owned it.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:07 PM

Steve, would it be possible to print a receiver hitch cover with Vanís logo. It would certainly dress up the rear of my suv.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonDweller View Post
Steve, would it be possible to print a receiver hitch cover with Van’s logo. It would certainly dress up the rear of my suv.
For some reason my personality type will not allow me to do decorative items. I was born that way and I can't explain it. Everything I do has no bling. Even my tail is plain white, nothing. I'm sure some guys on this forum could do it much better than me. I do appreciate the inquiry though.

this nose art is the most bling I've ever had. my youngest daughter's artwork but she's really not an artist, but I liked it. she's a lot like me and is working on her calculus and physics. Geek Squad!

sometimes I wish I could go back to this paint scheme, except corrosion is a real bummer.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-11-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:02 AM

Default 3-D printer

Thanks guys for the reply on your recommendation of a 3-D printer. I spent some time yesterday watching some Youtube videos. They were very helpful. Installing the software on a SD card might be difficult as I have a MacBook. Not sure if I have a port? I see a slit on one side but it is not labeled, that maybe be where the port is located. I still have some investigating to do. But looking forward to playing around with it.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
Old 01-12-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for the reply on your recommendation of a 3-D printer. I spent some time yesterday watching some Youtube videos. They were very helpful. Installing the software on a SD card might be difficult as I have a MacBook. Not sure if I have a port? I see a slit on one side but it is not labeled, that maybe be where the port is located. I still have some investigating to do. But looking forward to playing around with it.
I use a USB SD card reader for loading the card for my printer. I've used it that way for four years now. I have a Raspberry Pi sitting in my office that I plan to set up as a dedicated controller for the printer, so I could connect it to the printer, and drag and drop files onto the Raspberry Pi for printing. That would let me monitor progress remotely as well... But i've had the Pi for this for a year now, and still haven't spent the time to get it set up... :P The SD card works, what can I say...
Old 01-14-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonDweller View Post
Steve, would it be possible to print a receiver hitch cover with Vanís logo. It would certainly dress up the rear of my suv.

You want the "VA" with the swirl around it?