Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPeterson View Post
Tanya - what make/model of tire is this? I haven't seen one like that.
Thanks -
Just your standard aeroclassic nose wheel.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 08-02-2020, 04:33 PM

Default Debrief

Route
All 3402 nm of it. There was some VFR, some actual IFR, and some IFR for convenience and guarantee of terrain clearance.

O2 Postmortem
We don't talk much about our oxygen system, but it was critical on this trip so I thought it was worth a mention. We have the mountain high pluse-demand O2 system. In the early years, we used it with the mindset to conserve when we could. With more time in the seat, we've challenged it more and more. Now we've gotten to the point of 'if you got it, smoke it'. This trip started out with the bottle around 1800 psi, not quite in the green since our 'high' pressure tank wasn't quite as high as when new. We ended the trip with the needle starting to creep into the red, but it was still pulsing out O2. We flew for 23 hours, and 2 pilots used the system for probably 85% of that, so about 40 hours of supplemental oxygen use on the D5 setting (flows oxygen when the cabin altitude is over 5,000 feet). For our missions, the price of entry is so worth it to be more alert during the flight, less fatigued at the end of the day, and not have to be in search of a fill somewhere along the trip.

Performance Postmortem

Last edited by tcard : 08-02-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcard View Post
Route
All 3402 nm of it. There was some VFR, some actual IFR, and some IFR for convenience and guarantee of terrain clearance.

O2 Postmortem
We don't talk much about our oxygen system, but it was critical on this trip so I thought it was worth a mention. We have the mountain high pluse-demand O2 system. In the early years, we used it with the mindset to conserve when we could. With more time in the seat, we've challenged it more and more. Now we've gotten to the point of 'if you got it, smoke it'. This trip started out with the bottle around 1800 psi, not quite in the green since our 'high' pressure tank wasn't quite as high as when new. We ended the trip with the needle starting to creep into the red, but it was still pulsing out O2. We flew for 23 hours, and 2 pilots used the system for probably 85% of that, so about 40 hours of supplemental oxygen use on the D5 setting (flows oxygen when the cabin altitude is over 5,000 feet). For our missions, the price of entry is so worth it to be more alert during the flight, less fatigued at the end of the day, and not have to be in search of a fill somewhere along the trip.

Performance Postmortem

Great analogy, I also “smoke it if I got it.” I also have the MH pulse demand and 647 bottle and use it often above 10, I arrive much more “refreshed” and it also extends my 2 hour bladder to 3+. I chose it so I could fly to either coast From Kansas without a refill for 2 people. It’s easily paid for itself in fuel and time (engine reserve), extra tail winds or turning headwinds into crosswinds not to mention the extra options altitude allows for weather and emergencies. Only time I had to refill on the road was when I spent most of the flight from KS to California and back at 170-190 due to wx and winds, didn’t want to run out over the Rockies on the way back. 12-15 would’ve had enough O2. Oxygen really lets you utilize the performance of the RV, the O2D2 lets you not half to fill up on the road!

Last edited by crabandy : 08-02-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:32 PM

Default Roy and Sandy

How do you know Roy and Sandy? They must live on their boat ? Do they a charter their boat to other couples?
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter

Last edited by Jaypratt : 08-02-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
If in the mood stop by 33U. Walk to my trailer and relax there. Beer in the fridge. Key in the cars (take Jetta) stay for couple days. I am out for AZ till Sunday
Man, if I'd known that offer was on the table, I'd have dropped in and cleared out the fridge while flying past a coupla weeks ago!

Houston, TX

Last edited by jbDC9 : 08-02-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:26 AM

Default How we know Scott and Tanya, other info

Scott (Scoot) and Tanya (Cookie) were a delight to have aboard. We could have asked them to do all the boat operations and we would have been in good hands. We really appreciated them flying from TX to visit.

(Jay) I first met the Cards at 2016 Airventure walking to the RV-6 group photo. They probably don't remember. They do remember meeting us at 2016 Petit Jean. Tanya was our flight lead during the 2017 "Rosie" trip from Fla to St. Kitts, Grenada and St Croix. We became friends during the 2017 Rosie trip and have become better friends since then. Sandy and I each think we chatted with you at the homebuilders pavilion at Airventure 2018.

Sandy is Capt Sandy on VAF. She earned her US Coast Guard Captains License so we COULD charter, but we don't. We do live aboard SV Tranquility during the summer months.

RV7avtor asked "How's the grass surface for camping at Eastsound this year? Happen to know if the shower/loo is open in the hangar area?"
There were lots of campers at Eastsound airport this weekend. I did not check the surface. The new shower/loo is operational. Code required. I heard that neither courtesy car is operational at this time.

The Tender to Tranquility is Peace, a Ranger Minto sailing dinghy. Scott's capacity estimate is about right, The sail rig is in our hangar waiting to be refinished. We think the EP Carry, electric outboard is great.

Scott did not mention that they have a Beringer nose wheel that uses a tubeless tire.

Regards,

N174RT (RV-7A) first flight 5/31/11, 1780hrs as of August 2020:
Tip-up, Lycon IO-360 EXP, WW 74HRT, AFS 5600T, AF-Pilot, IFD440, SL-30, echoUAT, D100 for backup, CQ1 headsets, CMW E-Lift

Our other riveted aluminum monocoque RV is a 2012 25' Eddie Bauer Airstream

Past aluminum monocoque vehicles:
N601RT (CH601HDS) First flight 5/03, 1550hrs after flying 8 years: 912ULS, GNS430W, SL-30, D10A Sold
1995 Midnight Pearl NSX w/BBSC Sold

EAA Chapter 105 board member 2010->2015
Old 08-03-2020, 12:48 AM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Scoot and Cookie,
Kelli and I got to enjoy a similar and equally fantastic week with Capt Sandy and Roy last fall. We absolutely enjoyed the week: I tried my first hand at helming the Tranquility, and it only took me about 10 minutes on the reach to turn the wheel the wrong way and dump cabin shelf items onto the floor (doh!). I'll stick to piloting RVs.

Roy and Sandy are marvelous hosts. Roy already had crab pots dropped into the sweet spots: Dungeness for dinner! And you should see the many buckets of blackberries we picked while there. Sandy whipped them into a marvelous cobbler, chased with great Washington wine.

Now, we didn't get to fly KELLI GIRL to Washington like y'all got to fly your -9 (we cashed in AA employee space-A to Seattle). But I got to sit in the seaplane's right seat to Orcas. Roy and Sandy had hip pocket plans to get us back from Orcas to Seattle when the seaplane ops had to shut down for low ceilings. Two words: Anacortes Ferry.

We love the Thomas, and absolutely admire their chosen lifestyle and the land (sea, and air) in which they've chosen it. Kelli and I are thrilled you got to visit them.

PS: Did you dingy out to harass the seals on the floating dock? Kelli and Sandy did.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:11 AM

Alright, alright, enough of this vacation / retirement looking stuff. Everybody back to W-O-R-K! .

S/V Tranquility was so similar to S/V "Full Deck" from a previous life, stepping aboard felt like being instantly transported back to fond memories of another time many years ago.

Thanks guys, that was Epic!
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 08-03-2020, 07:29 AM

Default Work!

Right,,, Im hopping to fly my New RV8 to Oshkosh 2021. Better get moving...
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 08-03-2020, 10:37 AM

Default Scott - Check Your PM Please

I sent an off topic note about flight hours per day.

Thanks, Bill

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.