-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:28 PM

Default If your on the fence about in ear..

If on the fence ,buy a set of "in ears", brand X,Y or Z, let your passenger use them, see the joy, and then try them yourself. Then buy a second pair as I did.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOnWheels View Post
to the Card's: How about a loaner program? Users pays for two-way shipping and a set of speaker tubes and ear plugs. Gets to try it for 30 days and then sends it back. The replacement tubes and plugs should keep it sanitary. It is a big change for people, so it is easy to get cold feet and just go with what they know, that is what happened to me.
not exactly what you're asking for but they have a very liberal return policy that is almost what you said, from their website:

RETURN POLICY ? We offer a 30 day money back guarantee on our headsets so that you can try them out in your own aircraft. A full refund less shipping charges will be issued on any CQ1 headset returned in as-new condition within 30 days of the invoice date. Your refund will be issued after we receive the merchandise and verify its condition.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log
Old 06-17-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odens_14 View Post
not exactly what you're asking for but they have a very liberal return policy that is almost what you said, from their website:

RETURN POLICY ? We offer a 30 day money back guarantee on our headsets so that you can try them out in your own aircraft. A full refund less shipping charges will be issued on any CQ1 headset returned in as-new condition within 30 days of the invoice date. Your refund will be issued after we receive the merchandise and verify its condition.
That's actually better than what he requested because they don't charge you for the throw away foam ear plugs !
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:42 PM

Default in ear

I sooooo want to use in-ear headsets, but I can't stand anything in my ear. Is this something I can get used to? Even wearing my iphone headsets drive me crazy after about an hour. Am I doomed forever for over the ear headsets? Anyone else had sensitive ears and finally got used to having something inside your ear? How could I "train" this - using earplugs?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
I sooooo want to use in-ear headsets, but I can't stand anything in my ear. Is this something I can get used to? Even wearing my iphone headsets drive me crazy after about an hour. Am I doomed forever for over the ear headsets? Anyone else had sensitive ears and finally got used to having something inside your ear? How could I "train" this - using earplugs?
Go to an FBO or a construction site or anywhere that gives away free foam earplugs and try them. If not just buy a set at Walmart.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:23 PM

Default earplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Go to an FBO or a construction site or anywhere that gives away free foam earplugs and try them. If not just buy a set at Walmart.
I've got and have used earplugs, but I hate them. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and been able to get used to having something in their ears.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I've got and have used earplugs, but I hate them. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and been able to get used to having something in their ears.
Mickey,
Our general guidance is something like: If you know that you hate ear-plugs, and have tried more than just the biggest piece of foam that you can stuff in your ear (totally wrong approach), you may very well not be a candidate. Don't mess with throwing an airplane into the mix. Also, don't assume that both of your ear canals are happy with the same size ear tip. Mine aren't, and have actually changed shape a little over the years.

Most people gravitate toward an ear-plug that is way too big, and is therefor very uncomfortable. Just so I don't leave you hanging, here is a pretty low pressure ear-plug that would be a decent indicator if you were happy for a few hours sitting in front of a computer with them in your ear.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 06-17-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Highly doubt they will work for you then. Thats exactly my first question when people ask about my clarity Aloft. If you don't like ear plugs then they aren't for you.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:30 AM

Smile Card CQ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcard View Post
Andreas,

Keep in mind that I am biased since we are manufacturing the CQ1...but part of the reason the CQ1 exists is because I flew a Clarity Aloft for years and knew there were things that could be improved.

One difference is the frame of the Clarity Aloft is not adjustable. If the frame fits your head out of their mold, then you are good. If your noggin is larger or smaller than their design, it'll be either a bit tight or loose. Mine was so loose that I used a hair clip to hold it steady, or else I was always chasing the microphone because it was just a mini-teeter totter on my ears. I needed a third point of contact for the stability I wanted.

Another major difference is the sound delivery method. The CQ1 uses sound tubes, so the speakers themselves are firmly attached to the frame. The Clarity speakers are at the ear and attached to the frame with very small wires. While there are many happy Clarity Aloft users that have never had a problem, I had to send mine back to Cliarty Aloft every 300 hours or so as one of the wires would eventually fail at the speaker. The sound tubes on the CQ1 do need to be replaced every so often as moisture can build up, but they are field replaceable, and you can simply purchase a new set that can be mailed to you with no down time.

The ear tips on the Clarity Aloft have a helix core that screws onto the speakers. There are many folks out there that have had to dig an ear tip out of their ear because it came unscrewed. Plus, you only have the choice of those one type of ear tips, although they are very good quality. With the CQ1, we have several difference choices (including those that are used with the Clarity Aloft), and you can always build your own ear tips from your favorite pair of ear plugs. (We are homebuilders after all.)

The microphone on the CQ1 is also longer than the Clarity Aloft. The picture below is with the headsets aligned where they would sit on top of the ear, although it may not appear so with the angle.

Thank you Tanya for the comprehensive explanations. That sounds all very promising Just a question to the sound tubes and the tubes that go into the ear plugs: can they be custom trimmed to a wished length or need they to stay at the given length? I will send you an email.
VAF donation 2020/11/26
Old 06-18-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouddancer View Post
Thank you Tanya for the comprehensive explanations. That sounds all very promising Just a question to the sound tubes and the tubes that go into the ear plugs: can they be custom trimmed to a wished length or need they to stay at the given length? I will send you an email.
Andreas, the length of the sound tubes is part of the overall system as they are tuned to the balanced armatures (speakers) we use. However, you can trim the tubes down some without significantly affecting the sound quality. Regarding the black tubing attached to the ear tips themselves, you can trim that to any length you desire.