- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:29 PM

Default Best headsets for RV?s

Recently, I took a trip from Michigan to Philadelphia and back in my RV 7a. I have the Veterman 4 pipe exhaust system, relatively loud! A friend allowed us to use their Light Speed Zulu 3?s in place of my 20 year old DC H10-13.4 ANR sets. Just wanted me to try them to get my opinion of how much better they might be. To put it mildly, they are very good! My David Clark?s are good but older technology, there is a difference in this noisy environment. Doing some research, I found a pair of DC One-X to try and they are equally better.

The question is, are there any ?good deals? on any of these now or in the future? I know Light Speed had a trade in program last year and am wondering if there is anything on the horizon as far as deals?

Any one want to buy a set of 2 DC H10-13.4 ANR headsets, used?

Unfortunately in science, what you believe is irrelevant.

2021 donation made, exempt but worth every dime!
Old 06-12-2020, 04:23 PM

I recently upgraded to a Zulu 3, but still have the original Zulu as well. While there is a difference, the original model still sounds great. I do like the new, tougher kevlar cable design of the 3.

You may be able to find some good deals on a Zulu or Zulu 2 if you look around. I found mine at an avionics shop. Lightspeed has great support and still supports the older models.

Chris
Old 06-12-2020, 04:24 PM

Default headsets

I dont have a dog in the race, but..since you asked.

Scott and Tanya Card on here make a very high quality headset. My wife and i had Halos, also very popular with RVers and enjoyed for 10 years. Last year we bought Scott and Tanya version (very similar to halo's) but better build quality, materials and more magic voodoo in the box. You will not be disappointed. They take about 2 hours to get used to over old head clamps but you will never go back. Honest... you will be 100% happy, and good people to deal with.

Cheers

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 6 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 06-12-2020, 04:32 PM

I thought about going that route but have never used anything like what Scott and Tonya offer. I?ll go back a take another look.

Thanks,

Old 06-12-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
I thought about going that route but have never used anything like what Scott and Tonya offer. I?ll go back a take another look.

Thanks,
I have the Halo as well and considered getting a CQ model. The in ear models are definitely comfortable on shorter flights but I have found they irritate the top of my ears after a few hours, especially with sunglasses on. Anybody compared the CQ to the Halo in this respect? Also, I found music quality to be 10 times better with the Zulu than the Halo. I can?t imagine an in ear model sounding as good as the Traditional ANR headsets when it comes to music, but again I haven?t tried the CQ yet.

Chris
Old 06-12-2020, 05:06 PM

Default Clarity Aloft

I fly an RV-7 w/IO-360-A1B6, CS Hartzell BA 7497-2.

After arriving at Oshkosh in 2009, I had the usual post flight monster headache. While at the show, I ran across Clarity Aloft and bought a set (show special).

They've been exceptionally quiet, comfortable, and NO HEADACHE. 11 Years and 500+ hours with them, and still going strong.

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:26 PM

Default Card/Halo

Can?t say enough good about both of these. Upgraded my DC 13.4s to the Halos and won?t be going back. Light and comfortable. Great experience, especially in the Florida heat. Upgraded to the Card model, better audio for sure. My wife still likes her Halo.
2021 =VAF= donor
Old 06-12-2020, 05:36 PM

Obviously I think the CQ1 is the best option for me, hence it's existence, but the topic is so personal that there isn't a single right answer for everyone. I do know from shipping CQ1s around the world to every kind of pilot imaginable for the past few years, many are simply amazed that they don't have to have their head in a vice anymore. After that, the finer details are noticed by those upgrading from the competition.

Not the cheapest or most expensive, but what we wanted.

Tip-up / Slider / primer / headsets...
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 06-12-2020, 06:09 PM

Thanks Scott, I don?t ever use foam ear plugs as I?ve never been able to keep them in my ears! I watched the video and was doing it basically correct but will pick up some and try it again. I like the concept and would love to give them a try.

I was so looking forward to OshKosh this year and looking for new headsets was high on my list.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Thanks Scott, I don’t ever use foam ear plugs as I’ve never been able to keep them in my ears!
Paul, please check your PMs. We'd love to talk ear tips with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
I have the Halo as well and considered getting a CQ model. The in ear models are definitely comfortable on shorter flights but I have found they irritate the top of my ears after a few hours, especially with sunglasses on.
Chris, Scott often wears the headset with the frame over his hat band instead of over his ears. It avoids the conflict of sunglasses and the frame, which may be contributing to the irritation you are experiencing. The CQ1 mic is longer, which makes this possible for him. The frame is slightly stiffer so it sits on the hat band a bit better. That might make a difference for you.