What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

California taxes

In Texas when an airplane is sold between two individuals no taxes are collected. My question to those in the know, if an RV is sold from California to someone in Texas, will California collect taxes from an out of state buyer? The plane would leave California for Texas. This would change the buying decision.

I don?t know the answer, but I think if the current owner flies the plane to TX before completing the transaction, CA cannot assess sales tax. What I do know is that the current owner is in for an unpleasant surprise: CA assesses personal property as of Jan 1. In July the current owner (as of Jan 1) will get and owe a 1% property tax, even if he has sold the airplane.

Just to be precise...in CA, it's not the *state* that levies the personal property tax, it's each *county*. Granted, they're probably all the same 1%, but I don't know for sure (I only know that mine is 1%).

California

If you buy in California. Fly it out. Do not stop anywhere.
Have the buyer sign a casual sale form, if they are not a dealer. You will not owe tax in Texas.

Answer:
You must take delivery out of the state of calif to not pay the sales tax in this state.Take delivery in this state and you pay taxes,take delivery across the border and no sales tax to Calif.
OR,you can hire a transport Co to fly it out of the state and get a bill of lading and keep it on file to prove you hired someone to transport( fly) it out.

In CA there's no sales tax on aircraft (bought out of state), there is unsecured property tax. They have to pay taxes to the county on the value of the aircraft each year.

https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/industry/vehicles-vessels-aircraft-guide.htm

True in that California does not call it a sales tax, but instead it's called use tax. Use tax is billed at the same rate as the sales tax where the airplane is based. Use tax applies whether the airplane was bought out of state or not, unless you qualify for a use tax exemption (which are listed on the website that you have listed above)

Answer:
You must take delivery out of the state of calif to not pay the sales tax in this state.Take delivery in this state and you pay taxes,take delivery across the border and no sales tax to Calif.
OR,you can hire a transport Co to fly it out of the state and get a bill of lading and keep it on file to prove you hired someone to transport( fly) it out.

Out of state delivery is step 1 of how to legally avoid paying the use tax, but there are several other steps involved. If you are buying the airplane for personal use, you're probably not going to be exempt.

Take it Out and keep it out for 12 months except for repairs

I don't see it as an issue. When you register, your home state will see the addition and levy a tax if applicable. California will never know that an out of state resident bought an airplane and took it out of state. Yes, the prior owner will notify the county of residence that he is no longer subject to annual property tax, but the county guys don't talk to the state guys. Even if they did, they typically don't have an issue with a non-dealer sale. To be certain, call the California Tax gurus.

See this link: https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/industry/vehicles-vessels-aircraft-guide.htm#Aircraft

"You may not be required to pay California use tax if the only use of the aircraft in California is to remove it from the state and it will be used solely thereafter outside this state.

This exclusion only applies to a purchase that would otherwise be subject to use tax. No use of the aircraft, other than to remove it from the state, can be made. This exclusion does not apply to a purchase from an aircraft dealer subject to sales tax.

Delays for emergency repairs made to the aircraft must be verified as functionally necessary for the aircraft to continue its departure from the state. You must provide supporting documentation such as fuel, repair, hangar, and/or lodging receipts to verify the property's departure from California, plus documentation showing that the aircraft did not return during the applicable test period."

Back