-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:11 PM

Prior to designing the blow-through tube, I spent some time consulting with a gentleman from the local cremation facility.

Creamains are not "ashes", but rather ground bone, processed with a crusher. Actual particle size ranges from powder to 1/4 diameter...which is why (1) you don't want it striking your tail surfaces, (2) we were testing with pea gravel and marker lime, and (3) a suction-based system would need to as powerful as a typical vacuum cleaner.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfinnell View Post
I spent a long time searching on this forum and google, but I couldn't find the photo I have been looking for.

There was a photo of an airplane, I think it was a Cub, with a cremated remains dispenser. I wanted to show my son.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
I remember seeing a post on here years ago asking for what you're looking for; this isn't it, but pretty close.

This device was designed for something similar but totally different at the same time click on the link below and roll down to post #3 and then #6.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ighlight=Mugsy
Old 03-21-2016, 05:00 PM

This won't help the OP, but is more for Pierre. A cotton farmer here in West Texas requested his remains be scattered on the farm just behind the house by our local Ag pilot. At the appointed time, with family and friends gathered, he came from behind the house in his AT-602, dropped into the field, leveled a little high, and opened the dump gate. A fitting end to a dedicated life.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
The other thought is a memory I have from a story in one of the GA magazines about a pair of family members who wanted to honor their deceased relative. They didn't plan ahead and thought they could just open the window of the Cessna and then stick the urn out and let the ashes go to the wind. Only problem was the "wind" blew most of the ashes back into the airplane. Ol' "Uncle Fred" remained in the carpet, upholstery and cracks and crevices of that Cessna for a long time. Uncle Fred's ashes, as are all cremated remains, were quite abrasive, too.
Reminiscent of The Big Lebowski...
Old 03-22-2016, 06:24 PM

A number of years ago I saw an article in, I believe, one of the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (COPA) publications detailing a device for this purpose for use in Piper aircraft with the little side window on the pilot's side (Cherokees and Comanches). They had a similar disaster to the "Uncle Fred" episode listed above first, then designed what is essentially a drawer type device that attaches to the inside of the little hinged window. I believe it had a sliding door; when pulled up, the cremains are sucked out into the slipstream.
O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop

Those who think any system is foolproof greatly underestimate the ingenuity of fools
Old 03-22-2016, 07:03 PM

The simplest dispenser I've ever read about (never actually did it) was a paper bag taped to the airframe in a convenient place (top of wing outboard of the tail, under the wing, etc). They used a nylon string as a literal rip cord to tear the bag open at the proper time. Should be doable even in an RV, with thin nylon line slipped through the canopy gap.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:14 PM

I flew a Cessna 206 for a mortuary hauling caskets, bodies, and spreading ashes. The first time I spread ashes, I had to vacuum the plane out.

The simplest way I found to spread ashes was by using a heavy sheet of plastic about 14" X 20". Roll the ashes up and use a single piece of scotch tape to hold the roll. Stick that roll out the window down the side of the fusledge and flick the tape loose. The plastic would unroll down the trailing side of the fuselage and no ashes would be sucked back in the cabin. Just make sure to hang on tightly to the plastic sheet.
Guthrie-Edmond Rgnl, OK (KGOK)
________
Old 10-30-2018, 04:37 AM

A couple years since the last post, but I figured this could help someone in my predicament.

A good mate of mine from work, also a pilot, passed away earlier this year and his family asked if I could come up with a way to scatter his ashes from the RV. Now, as I have a tip-up this presents some problems...

After a bit of headscratching and a few days in the back shed, I came up with something ASIO and the CIA would have kittens about.

IT consists of a length of 100mm PVC pipe with two end-caps for the actual cremains-holder-portion. This has a 3"x20" (give or take) section cut out from the bottom of it, and this is closed over by an outer form-fitting fiberglass hatch and rubber seal. A pair of 12V linear actuators drop the bottom fiberglass hatch away from the pod body using a pair of aluminium angle brackets, allowing gravity and the airflow to disperse the cremains with no danger of abrasive damage to the tail surfaces. Two fiberglass caps at either end somewhat smooth the airflow around it, a piece of 25x25 RHS functions as a hardpoint that gets screwed into the tiedown fitting, and two lengths of piano hinge to attach the pod to the hardpoint. This allows you to mount the hardpoint to the wing, and simply use the piano hinge-pins to mount the pod after, uhmm....placing....the cremains into the pod elsewhere.

As it could pivot around the tiedown point in a worst-case scenario, two lengths of HD aluminium-backed tape (shown forward here before I installed the aft sections) secure it to the bottom wing surface to prevent it weather-vaning if you get into a bit of a slip or skid - though slipping down final is certainly not recommended with the pod mounted...The wires from the linear actuators are run over the leading edge, in a straight line back to an inch forward of the trailing edge and secured there with aviation-quality gaffer tape before being run to a switch in the cockpit.

After several flight tests at speeds upto 100KIAS, it was successfully used today for its' first - and hopefully only real-life dispersal. There was no noticeable change to the stall speed surprisingly and only a minor change to the lateral trim was noticed in the test flights - certainly nothing dangerous or concerning.

Full size image here

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:47 AM

Shout out to professor Horton, how about updating your photo links here? I?ve been thinking about building something like this for a while and I think it?s high time I did it!
Old 10-30-2018, 08:21 AM

Done, post #7.

Comrade Vlad and friends took the concept and did a great job adapting it his RV9, complete with tiedown mount point, electric release, and a few nice design tweaks. I'll leave the details to Vlad, but here is a quick video of a test.

https://www.danhorton.net/VAF/Creama..._115745032.mp4

Last edited by DanH : 10-30-2018 at 08:33 AM.