What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conduit under the step

eison

I find myself entering the next learning phase of the building experience and with that phase, new questions are arising.

I am routing standard van's conduit X 3 from the back seat, under the floor of the baggage area to the rear of the plane on both sides. Probably overkill but while it is open, easy to do. I plan on running the conduits under the step in the outermost bay of the baggage area. I feel like I have three options for this area.

1. I can just let the conduit lay on the skin.

2. I can try and proseal attach the conduit to the skin.

3. I could zip tie the conduit to the step structure.

I have read that it is bad form to zip tie things to the engine mount due to vibration etc, but wasn't sure about doing so in the body of the fuselage.

Any comments welcome

Thanks

Last edited:
I have insulation mat on the aluminum, then laid the conduit in place. I zip tied it to the lightening holes. I did not tie it to the step. I had to replace my step last year and there were no issues with chafing etc. Hope this helps.

Dr Fred.

I used some cable stand off tabs, removed the stock sticky tape and used some 5 minute epoxy glue to adhere them in place, then lightly ziptied the conduit to the stand to keep it from moving but loose enough not to crush it.

haven't started building yet, but if you are worried about vibrations on the zip ties, why not try wax lacing cord?

Eric,

Hope you're doing well. Here is an old photo I found of mine.

I used zip ties to secure some baffle seal material on the step. The goal was to make the baffle seal material sacrificial and replace when/if it's necessary. I don't anticipate any chafing issues there.

Phil

545330_4486950545777_1766296400_n.jpg

Back