Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2020, 07:48 AM

i still remember the words on a piper preflight checklist at the flight school in the early 80's ''controls free and correct''
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
RV-12 airworthiness cert. 11/30/2021
Old 06-21-2020, 08:02 AM

Definitely not the first or last time control locks are neglected. The control lock that Allan Nimmo developed let?s you know it?s in place. You can?t do much of anything while it?s in place. Actually, you can barely get in the seat until it?s removed. A sad tale indeed.
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
Definitely not the first or last time control locks are neglected. The control lock that Allan Nimmo developed let?s you know it?s in place. You can?t do much of anything while it?s in place. Actually, you can barely get in the seat until it?s removed. A sad tale indeed.
I have Allan's RV-8 control lock. It may take me 15 minutes to get it installed, but I know I won't forget it!
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 06-21-2020, 02:33 PM

Default locked controls

During my last BFR:
CFI observed my walk-around, moving/verifying the flight control surfaces.
Later, during after start checks, I again verify flight control movement - free and correct. His method to get me to talk about it was to ask "you checked all that during the walk around; why are you doing it again?" Of course the answer is, with 2 big guys climbing aboard and strapping in, who knows if a bag or kneeboard obstructs the stick, he's got his foot on a rudder cable, a pencil got dropped on the floorboards, seat belt loose end dangling in the wrong place, headset cord wrapped around, etc., etc.
If you haven't seen it before, search youtube for: deHavilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou crash. Said to be attempted take off with gust lock still engaged.
Or check out the CH-701 demo flight videos, where the pilot has a "habit" of frequently "wiping out the cabin" with the stick while taxiing. Overkill, maybe, but I bet he never takes off with the controls locked.

Doug
Seattle area
Old 06-21-2020, 03:02 PM

My PPL instructor (uncontrolled field) taught his students, just before crossing the hold-short line, to check the final approach "Final clear" and then the runway "Runway clear" and then controls "controls free and clear" and then roll onto the runway. It's a handy mnenomic and I still use it today because it's useful and it works.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Pending Repeat Offender - 10 kit is on order. TDI? Turbine? Stay tuned!
Old 06-21-2020, 06:11 PM

Default B-17 and control lock

For those not aware, the acceptance flight for the B-17 design ended in a fatal crash just after takeoff.

The reason,... the control lock was not removed,.... result.... checklists......

If you care to read more on all kinds of checklists,....read Atul Gawande book “checklist”
Phase 2 has started!
Thanksgiving time, is dues time for us

Last edited by thinkn9a : 06-21-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:15 PM

The most recent corporate jet crash to be attributed to the control check not being accomplished before takeoff:
http://aerossurance.com/safety-manag...f-accident-hf/
Old 06-22-2020, 06:11 AM

And the Ford Trimotor.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:42 AM

With the Vans machines having such well balanced flight controls it's difficult to imagine taxiing without moving the stick a little bit even unintentionally especially if there is any wind about! Control locks are meant to be in full view of the pilot and generally fitted so as not to be able to either start the engine or operate it above idle, securing a control column/stick with a seat belt is a no no anyway!
Old 06-22-2020, 07:15 AM

Default Control lock in place

I used to read the NTSB accident reports often and every year there was one or two crashes because of control locks being in place. Most would over run the end of the runway never even getting into the air.
420 hours and counting