Originally Posted by kentlik
How did you execute this? I am afraid to throw off all my work on the hoops with a standard squeeze...fractions give me headaches...haha
Wish I had a photo. I'll try to describe it:
I drilled holes in some 2x4 blocks the same diameter as the forward bow tube (3/4"? there's a dang fraction again). Set the blocks on the workbench, then stuck the extensions of the forward bow into the blocks. Slid things around a bit to make sure there was no side load on the forward bow, then screwed the blocks to the workbench with drywall screws. The idea being to capture the forward bow so it couldn't move.
Oh yeah, the above setup was arranged so the entire canopy frame was over the bench (nothing hanging over an edge).
Used a ratchet strap around the bench, wound around the center bow where it's welded to the forward bow, then back to itself. Tightened just enough that the forward bow couldn't pop out of the blocks.
Dropped a plumb bob from the center bow at front and back, made marks on the bench, then drew a line connecting the marks. That way I could measure from the centerline out to each pin, for a before-and-after measurement. I used a ratchet strap looped around the pin/aft bow intersection on each side and started tightening. Then loosening and measuring, then tightening... Amazingly I managed 1/4" (that's 0.25"
) on each side. A symmetric bend, in other words.
Next I secured the aft bow with some blocks and clamps, goal being to fix it like I did up front. Backed out the drywall screws securing the front blocks, then repeated the process to narrow the front bow. That took a lot more force and distortion, but eventually I got it.
My memory is a little dim on this, but I'm fairly certain that the above was not without consequences- the frame wound up with some twist again and I had to repeat the procedure in my previous post.
Others may be able to do it faster with good results, but that's what worked for me.
In the end it fit pretty well after the canopy was installed, though not perfect. I made the entire canopy skirt out of a glass/carbon layup, which nicely covered all imperfections. If you can't see them they don't exist