What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 and Aeromomentum

nubpilot

I'm New Here
Looking for any feedback to those that have built an RV-12 with an Aeromomentum AM13 or AM15.

I am trying to decide on which plane I want to build but I think I'm set on using this engine and looking for feedback to those that have experience with it.
- custom fab work?
- lack of Vans support
- effect on CG
- DAR inspection issues
- insurance issues

Thanks for any info and feedback.
Jeremy

Why do you prefer that engine?

Does the vendor offer a firewall forward package to go along with the engine?

Do you anticipate needing to make your own cowl or engine/nose gear mount?

Dave

Engine selection

Looking for any feedback to those that have built an RV-12 with an Aeromomentum AM13 or AM15.

I am trying to decide on which plane I want to build but I think I'm set on using this engine and looking for feedback to those that have experience with it.
- custom fab work?
- lack of Vans support
- effect on CG
- DAR inspection issues
- insurance issues

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I do not have first hand experience with Aeromomentum. But I do have a bit of experience as I installed a Honda 1.8L engine in my RV6A. I have a bit over 100 hours on it now. I don't want to create thread drift by talking about my project. But for the sake of this general topic of consideration of an auto conversion for an airplane, I can tell you that it takes a person who very much enjoys spending time creating custom "accessories" that add time to the build process. For example, you will probably have to create a custom cowling, a custom engine mount, and a custom radiator/cooling system. I found this challenge enjoyable. But most people find it too much to tackle.

I am not trying to discourage you but I do want to help you know that selecting the engine needs to be done with eyes-wide-open about the other aspects that add time to your project.

I wish you well.

Charlie Rosenzweig
N327WC, Turbo Honda RV6A.

- custom fab work?
- lack of Vans support
- effect on CG
- DAR inspection issues
- insurance issues

Jeremy

No experience with alternative engines to share but I think one factor you left off your list that's very important is resale value. For the most part, auto engines cut resale value in half or at best to a point where you're selling for kit value only, less firewall forward components. Most people who buy RVs as used aircraft want standard aircraft engines, and prefer the Van's supported configuration, engine mounts etc.

I will echo Charlie's comments, going with an alternative engine involves considerably more work than the level of Van's Rotax integration. If you are a gearhead and like custom fabrication, along with using your imagination to make something better or solve a problem then it can be a fun experience. In my case it added three years to the build and at the end of the day most likely cost as much as putting in the Rotax if you include the extra hanger rental time for a non-flying aircraft. For me, the experience was worth it.

- custom fab work? YES, lots of glass work on the cowling, fuel and electrical are all custom fab items. Expect cascade effects on making changes for other systems (see pitot tube in next item).

- lack of Vans support: Not an issue for me, Van's will neither confirm nor deny anything if you ask them a question on an RV-12 EAB build. The only helpful direction was do not drill the spar web for two pitot bulkhead fittings and see AC-43.13 if you want to add a battery access hatch in the tailcone.

- effect on CG: The CG will move forward and the empty weight will go up by about 80-100 pounds. Do not be fooled by anyone claiming light weight vs Rotax.

- DAR inspection issues: Vic S was my DAR, no issues with the engine.

- insurance issues: None so far.

+AOG: You are really on your own if you have engine issues and are away from homebase. I have a lot of spare parts on the shelf to handle anything other than a catastrophic engine failure.

In hindsight, today the only thing I would have done different was to build an RV-9 vs the -12, mainly because the extra weight and CG has more margin with the RV-9. The AM15 might be an interesting combination for the RV-9.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS (Honda Viking 110)

If you go to YouTube and look for “Andy’s RV12 AM15” you’ll find a number of videos of such an installation. Well worth a look. It wasn’t completely straightforward for him, but he was happy in the end.
He gives a good, honest evaluation of the whole process. He is an Australian guy, started out hoping to save money. That didn’t really work out, but the end result seems okay.
Cheers, DaveH

RV-12iS Build.

Howdy there;

Yep building a second RV-12iS without the Rotax 912iS engine, wiring harness and master bus system, What a blast.

Same airframe and fuel lines (2). I am installing an AM15 with the same Dynon
configuration but with a Design Composition master Bus. Smile. I build and fly
for fun and retirement, so profit is of no concern.

UL engine

Consider the UL engine….a proven record in Europe and the importer is a friend of mine in Georgia. Air cooled, direct drive and full FADEC (one knob operation).

Come and look at mine.

Regards,

- custom fab work?
- lack of Vans support
- effect on CG
- DAR inspection issues
- insurance issues

Jeremy

You may want to plan when you are going to fly the finished airplane. A hangar neighbor finished building his 100% stock RV12 in 2 years, while working full-time. If you venture off the Van's prescribed path, expect to wait a bit longer. Good luck.

Back