What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR GPS "certification"

pilotmansam

I have installed a Garmin GNC355 in my RV-6. I was pleased that it all seems to be working correctly and I am continuing with my instrument rating quest. One question that I still have is: Is there any sort of "certification" process I should conduct to be legal with this radio in the IFR system. I purchased the unit from one of the techs at my local avionics shop who encouraged me to do the install myself. I guess I could just ask the guys at the shop, but I am looking for a completely unbiased opinion. Thanks for any input.

You may get many different opinions on this, but I recently went through this and asked my FAA PMI what was required.

1. Confirm the GPS / navigator meets the appropriate TSO for IFR operations in the NAS.

2. Confirm that the GPS / navigator was installed IAW Garmin's instructions, which are required to meet the TSO / FAA 91.205.

3. Complete the post installation tests IAW Garmin's installation instructions. Typically this is a functional check of flying several approaches in VFR and ensuring that everything works. Also an EMI check for compatibility with other avionics.

4. Have a current navigation database.

5. Have an approved flight manual supplement for the GPS / navigator for your N#.

It doesn't matter if you have a standard or special airworthiness certificate, all five of these apply for use of a GPS / navigator installed in an aircraft used for IFR operations in the NAS.

You will also need to check your operating limitations and make sure that there is a sentence that says that IFR flight is approved as long as it is properly equipped per FAR 91.205. If not, you will need to contact your local FSDO to get them changed. My original OL had the normal part about "day VFR unless equipped with equipment for night flight" but did not have the part about IFR. I had to get it changed.
Keith

Without an "approved flight manual" how do you have a "supplement"?
Same question I was about to ask. There are no Approved Flight Manual requirements for amateur built special airworthiness aircraft that I am aware of.

Not sure about the Garmin products, however my Avidyne IFD 540 came with an Avidyne published "FAA Approved Flight Manual Supplement" where you fill in the Make/Model, Reg Number, and Serial Number for your aircraft. The supplement states it applies only to the IFD 540 operation with respect to the installation STC for TSO compliance. It is organized like a POH, the limitations section specifies which IFR operations are approved and what is not an allowable use (example GPS Altitude cannot be used as the primary altitude indicator).

Being EAB, you could just incorporate the information from the supplement in your POH, or just reference it in the Flight Operations section to save some work. The information already exists and is useful to know, so why not use it.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

This is correct - "Not sure about the Garmin products, however my Avidyne IFD 540 came with an Avidyne published "FAA Approved Flight Manual Supplement" where you fill in the Make/Model, Reg Number, and Serial Number for your aircraft. The supplement states it applies only to the IFD 540 operation with respect to the installation STC for TSO compliance. It is organized like a POH, the limitations section specifies which IFR operations are approved and what is not an allowable use (example GPS Altitude cannot be used as the primary altitude indicator)."

Garmin has a FAA Approved Flight Manual Supplement for all of their GPS / Navigators where you fill in the Make/Model, Reg Number, and Serial Number for your aircraft.

Installing a TSO'ed GPS / Navigator for IFR operations in the NAS in an aircraft with a special airworthiness certificate does not automatically make the GPS / navigator "experimental" and negate the requirements.

Back