What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pulling down the tail

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
RV14-A and I want to pull the tail down to lift the nose wheel off the ground. What is the most innovative way?

The mechanic down the row has a big steel washtub of concrete on rollers....

Tail pull down

Is it advisable to pull down rather than jack up the front?

Concrete expansion bolts or lead sleeve and lag bolt/screw with eye ring, using a rope or tie strap to pull down.

I use a floor jack with the pad under the nose fork at the nut below the axle holder when I want to lift my nosewheel.

Larry

Five bags of water softener salt in a plastic tub with a tie down strap wrapped around them pulling down with the tail tie down. Rented hanger so I didn't want to drill the floor. Cheaper than sand or concrete. Less hassle than water. Bought more than I needed to ensure I had enough weight and just took the extras home to use. Easy disposal as I can use them in the softener when I find a way I like better but haven’t yet.

Last edited:
Harbor Freight dolly, plywood with eyebolt, concrete blocks, ratchet tie down. Works great and is easily movable. :)

meat ballast?

...ok, so my son happens to weight exactly as much as the moment arm of tail vs nose...hooked a ratchet strap to the tail eyebolt, slug it under his butt, and he slowly transferred his weight to it, tightened as needed for the right 'lift'.
Laid there and napped while I pulled the nosewheel or whatever.
you may need to put rocks in your ballast's pockets, as helper mass varies widely! :)

Tee Lift Pad

I cut a 2x6 the width of fuselage at firewall. Took a piece of 4x4 and deck screwed it in center of 2x6. I cut 4x4 short enough to get floor jack under 4x4
when lifted against fuselage. I put piece of carpet on 2x6. The 4x4 fits between exhaust pipes so 2x6 is at the firewall. Set parking brake and lift. Good and
solid for quick inspection or setting breakout.

I got eight of the 4-8-16 solid blocks at 1.30 apiece and set them on a HF dolly. Worked great. My nosewheel breakout was way too low. Much better.

I installed an old door hinge in the hangar floor with Tap-cons ( so it lays flat when not in use (toe stubber!)). Drilled an oversized hole in the leaf that flips up.
Flip up when needed and hook a small block and tackle to it and the tail tie down. I actually use a couple pulleys and a cleat thing I saw at Home Depot. Works great. If you have a helper, you can just have them push the tail down while you hook it with a short rope or chain.

Back