What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How would you safety wire this?

tkatc

Well Known Member
Obviously I don't want this to back itself out. How would you safety wire this?

image.jpg

Pipe thread

Obviously I don't want this to back itself out. How would you safety wire this?

image.jpg

All you need to do is snug up pipe thread. That will never fibrate loose during your lifetime. Quick drains into the tank are never secured other than tightened to the point the fitting doesn't leak'

If necessary, you could drill a small hole in the collar angled up and to the right (or left) in your photo for the safety wire. Just don't drill into the tank.:eek:

Greg

It took me a while to get comfortable with flare fitting B Nuts and pipe thread fittings not getting safety wire, but they don't. Just make sure they're torqued correctly and then, if you like, put a dot of torque seal in the appropriate spot to have a quick visual confirmation that they've been torqued and they aren't rotating. The only exception I know of is for the flare fitting B nuts in the fuel tanks getting a safety device as per Vans Service Bulletin. I think it was the result of someone simply forgetting to torque it properly...

I guess there is a valid reason for what I think I'm seeing...but it look like there is a threadad plug in place of the expected fuel tank sump drain fitting.

Is this what I am seeing? Do you not intend to sump the tanks prior to each flight?

Safetying NPT plugs is one of those things in aviation I never understood the point of doing. Because if the plug is loose enough to rotate before it ever does its going to be leaking all over the place. I would tighten it and forget about safety wiring.

I guess there is a valid reason for what I think I'm seeing...but it look like there is a threadad plug in place of the expected fuel tank sump drain fitting.

Is this what I am seeing? Do you not intend to sump the tanks prior to each flight?

I am with you and wondering why plugging this port unless he is intending of not putting fuel in this tank, ever?

If I had a location like this that *wasn't* a fuel tank drain that I wanted to check from time to time, i'd fabricate a tab with a dimpled hole to fit under the adjacent countersunk screw that holds the fairing on. The free end of the tab i'd bend up slightly, and put a hole in it large enough to take a piece of lock wire.

But I wouldn't do it in the location you've shown. :)

Ok...this post is a bit of a joke. I found it on a Russian built aircraft and I threatened to post it on VAF. The owner is awaiting new o-rings for his drain valve but asked me how to safety wire in the meantime. :D

(I posted this in the test section and it got moved to the general area, oops)

Last edited:
Ok...this post is a bit of a joke. I found it on a Russian built aircraft and I threatened to post it on VAF. The owner is awaiting new o-rings for his drain valve but asked me how to safety wire in the meantime. :D

(I posted this in the test section and it got moved to the general area, oops)

Rest assured that the o-rings are well on their way to said Russian-built aircraft owner. Today, perhaps? Unless they get locked up in customs :D

Back