What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin updates

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
OMG.

Is there any insight as to what bundle to use? Or is it better to purchase individually? Do I also need a ChartView Key?

I will be VFR/IFR with Jeppesen charts...

Thanks...

I use the Garmin chart$ for obviou$ rea$ons$. If you call Garmin, they can help you order the correct charts. I agree, their web site isn't much help...

Also agree the Garmin options can very confusing. And since I only look at it once a year, it’s new all over again. So once I made my choice, I wrote up a table of comparisons that were relevant to my flying that explain my choice and pull that out each year. I can quickly see if circumstances have changed (usually Canada plans), and re-up - saves a lot of frustration.

Database Updates

OMG.

Is there any insight as to what bundle to use? Or is it better to purchase individually? Do I also need a ChartView Key?

I will be VFR/IFR with Jeppesen charts...

Thanks...

Hello Bob,

Are you buying databases for the G3X Touch only, or do you have an IFR navigator that you need to update as well?

We are happy to answer any questions you have.

Thanks,

Justin

How About A "Renew" Option

Why can't they put a "Renew" option in our accounts so we don't have to go through the frustration of finding the package we want / need every year.
Since most of us will want / need the same package for our planes, we will more than likely keep the same package until we either sell the plane or upgrade the avionics systems.
I too have to dig out the last year's order receipt to make sure I didn't fat-finger the ordering process. Bloody frustrating when a renew button would solve it all...

Hello Bob,

Are you buying databases for the G3X Touch only, or do you have an IFR navigator that you need to update as well?

We are happy to answer any questions you have.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

I have a full G3X Touch system with a GTN650 navigator...will be using Jepp charts as that is what I use at work...

Just got the A/W certificate, now looking at all the electronic updates and subscriptions.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, +1 on a RENEW option...

Database Pricing

Justin,

I have a full G3X Touch system with a GTN650 navigator...will be using Jepp charts as that is what I use at work...

Just got the A/W certificate, now looking at all the electronic updates and subscriptions.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, +1 on a RENEW option...

Hi Bob,

The G3X Touch "US Database Bundle" includes the Navigation, Obstacle, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain databases, for $150. You will need to purchase the Jeppesen charts separately.

You will need the Navigation database for the GTN 650 at minimum. You can purchase a year of the navigation database standalone for $299. To update all of the databases for the GTN is $499. Some find purchasing all of the databases for the GTN to be redundant considering that information all exists in the G3X Touch databases, which are cheaper.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

I’ve noticed that the Garmin Flite Charts do not show geo-referenced aircraft position for all ILS approaches, my home base (KFFC) being the prime example. Garmin has tried to explain that this is because one or more feeder fixes on the chart are not-to-scale; but this is not consistent with other charts (e.g., KFFC ILS 31 versus KFFC NDB 31). Both charts show HUSKY not-to-scale but only the NDB Approach presents the geo-referenced position. If I switch to Jeppesen Charts, will the geo-referenced position show for ALL approaches? Does anyone have any experience with the Jeppesen charts and whether they show the geo-referenced aircraft position for all approaches including ILS approaches?

Hi Bob,

The G3X Touch "US Database Bundle" includes the Navigation, Obstacle, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain databases, for $150. You will need to purchase the Jeppesen charts separately.

You will need the Navigation database for the GTN 650 at minimum. You can purchase a year of the navigation database standalone for $299. To update all of the databases for the GTN is $499. Some find purchasing all of the databases for the GTN to be redundant considering that information all exists in the G3X Touch databases, which are cheaper.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin, Any hints as to why the databases for Europe are disproportionately more expensive? The European Database Bundle for G3X Touch is £480 GBP ($602.66 US) which is some 4 times the cost :confused: I'm sure this results in some people not updating software as often as they should, or simply updating the Navigation Data only. Clearly this is a potential safety issue. I'm sure my other European based RV flyers would welcome an explanation.

Back