What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GAD27 + AeroLED Landing Lights + Wig Wag

Have it wired into the panel I am currently building. Will be testing it in a week or so. Stay tuned.

Sunspots

I have the Sunspot 36 LEDs with my GAD 27 and they work great. Programmed the wig-wag function with speeds and the switch priority in the G3X configuration. Now the lights flash above 50mph unless the landing/taxi switch is on.

Assuming you're using the SunSpot 36 (rated at 3.2A)? Is anyone using the higher output SunSpot 36-4313 LED Landing Light 14V (rated at 6.8A)?

Wanted to clarify if the GAD 27 will switch 10A per channel or is that summed between Light 1 and Light 2? Reading the manual, I'm inferring that it's 10A per channel and two ~7A loads could be wig wagged as well as both be on constant.

From the G3X installation manual:
"LIGHT 1 OUTPUT 10 A ACTIVE HIGH POWER OUTPUT FOR LIGHT 1"
"LIGHT 2 OUTPUT 10 A ACTIVE HIGH POWER OUTPUT FOR LIGHT 2"

Is there a way to disable the wig wag in flight, for example, if you wanted to shed load? I have a 40A main alternator, and a SD-8. I can get my system under 10A and still charge the battery on the standby. However, I'm configured with a three position switch 'OFF - TAXI - LANDING/TAXI' and use the airspeed enabled flash setting wig wag. Do I need to move to a dedicated wig wag switch to be able to shed load?

Thanks.

Since you guys seem to have the wig-wag operational with the GAD27 maybe you could clarify the wiring. I'd like one DPDT switch with OFF-WIGWAG-LANDING configuration. If I want to use the wired function for the wig-wag I'm not sure how to hook it up. Does enabling the wig-wag input also require the lights be enabled as well or will just enabling the wig-wag input turn the lights on?

Since you guys seem to have the wig-wag operational with the GAD27 maybe you could clarify the wiring. I'd like one DPDT switch with OFF-WIGWAG-LANDING configuration. If I want to use the wired function for the wig-wag I'm not sure how to hook it up. Does enabling the wig-wag input also require the lights be enabled as well or will just enabling the wig-wag input turn the lights on?

It's my understanding that the wig-wag switch enables the wig-wag function but does not turn the lights on if the light switch is off.

Hopefully someone will verify this is correct.

Coming back to this thread. Hoping from some input from G3X folks. My current thinking is like Michael's. Still hoping for confirmation either from Garmin or someone who has it wired and operational.

My GAD 27 will start to wig wag the landing lights if I turn on the switch for wig wag. It is independent of the landing light switch and will override that constant on if the landing light switch is turned to on and will wig wag. Configuration differences between people will probably lead to different results.

It is pretty flexible. I have two switches. One is light on/off. You could setup to have wig-wag based on speed with one switch. I like to pick my wig-wag, so I have a separate switch. With wig-wag on and light off, it is wig-wag. When I hit the light switch also on, it overrides and the wig-wag stops, lights on. This behavior can also be configured opposite, with the wig-wag overriding the lights.

So just about any combo works

It is pretty flexible. I have two switches. One is light on/off. You could setup to have wig-wag based on speed with one switch. I like to pick my wig-wag, so I have a separate switch. With wig-wag on and light off, it is wig-wag. When I hit the light switch also on, it overrides and the wig-wag stops, lights on. This behavior can also be configured opposite, with the wig-wag overriding the lights.

So just about any combo works

All this flexibility must be available in the set up menu.

The GAD 27 landing light wiring is pretty fixed. As this schematic shows, really only one way to wire the lights....unless I'm missing something.

Attachments

• GAD27.jpg
    GAD27.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 170
Ok I think I understand it now. All this flexibility makes it confusing. It appears Garmin was really thinking about you having 2 switches even though it can be done with one. I'm going to have to think about this more. As the builder I get that you will know that the Wig-Wag switch could be on and the Landing Light switch would override it. As some other pilot maybe not. For me that tends to push me in the direction of using a single multi position switch so that it isn't quite as flexible but more intuitive when looking at the switches.

The other alternative that seems intuitive is to just use a single two position switch for the landing light (switching the light enables on) and enable the automatic speed sensing wig-wag function. The Wig-Wag then happens in the background and it really doesn't affect the pilot operation.

Michael, I actually have mine setup different than your drawing. I have one landing light on each light output. My Taxi lights are not connected to the GAD27.

I'll have to think about this more before finalizing my selection. The automatic Wig-Wag seems better in a way. Jeez too many options here. :D

PS: Garmin a simplified truth table might be helpful with the configurations included.

Last edited:
Yes that’s correct. Switches per dwg then config as you like.

Cool ...

I wish I could have incorporated my taxi light for wig wag. If you have two LLs like I do, there does not seem to be a way to add the taxi light to the wig wag circuit.

Ok I think I understand it now. All this flexibility makes it confusing. It appears Garmin was really thinking about you having 2 switches even though it can be done with one. I'm going to have to think about this more. As the builder I get that you will know that the Wig-Wag switch could be on and the Landing Light switch would override it. As some other pilot maybe not. For me that tends to push me in the direction of using a single multi position switch so that it isn't quite as flexible but more intuitive when looking at the switches.

The other alternative that seems intuitive is to just use a single two position switch for the landing light (switching the light enables on) and enable the automatic speed sensing wig-wag function. The Wig-Wag then happens in the background and it really doesn't affect the pilot operation.

Michael, I actually have mine setup different than your drawing. I have one landing light on each light output. My Taxi lights are not connected to the GAD27.

I'll have to think about this more before finalizing my selection. The automatic Wig-Wag seems better in a way. Jeez too many options here. :D

PS: Garmin a simplified truth table might be helpful with the configurations included.

Actually, I deviated from this drawing. I have two LLs, each light is wired to the individual output on the right of the drawing... my taxi light does not go through the GAD27. Then the two switches on the left side of the drawing go to a single dpst LL switch.

Here's an updated drawing showing the GAD 27 with Two landing lights set up for wig wag. This setup has a STDP switch controlling the individual LL so they can wig wag.

Attachments

• GAD27-2.jpg
    GAD27-2.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 162
Back