What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA airworthiness inspection passed!!

dwranda

Well Known Member
Today was almost 7 years in the making. N965DR is now an airplane. I found it interesting that the inspector didn't give me the certificate. He is going back to his office and typing everything up then coming back at a later point to have me sign things. Anyway, both guys were happy with the plane and said I did a good job. I guess now I change from saying I am building an airplane to I have built an airplane. Many thanks to everyone on here who have given tons of support.

Congrats with your now flying N965DR!
I was told recently, that there is no longer a pink air worthiness slip being issued. The new procedure is supposedly to incorporate an equally valid certificate page to the OpLims document. This was news to me, so I would appreciate hearing how your AWC is presented to you.

That is great David. You beat me in time by a couple years. Took me 10! I have been flying now just over a year and have 150 hours on it so far. I was lucky to do my flight training it it so that was icing on the cake.

I was just looking not far from you for a trip to Palmyra. I hope you have as much fun as I am having! Best of luck with the 40.

I was told recently, that there is no longer a pink air worthiness slip being issued. The new procedure is supposedly to incorporate an equally valid certificate page to the OpLims document. This was news to me, so I would appreciate hearing how your AWC is presented to you.

I will definitely post a follow up. He's also taking care of my repairman certificate at the same time so that will be all set too.

I will definitely post a follow up. He's also taking care of my repairman certificate at the same time so that will be all set too.

Congratulations David! I've been to your airport in November it's a challenging place to do thorough testing this time of the year. Could be very windy. Take your time don't rush on Phase 1.

Attachments

• David's place - 1.jpeg
    David's place - 1.jpeg
    684.2 KB · Views: 99
Congratulations

Today was almost 7 years in the making. N965DR is now an airplane. I found it interesting that the inspector didn't give me the certificate. He is going back to his office and typing everything up then coming back at a later point to have me sign things. Anyway, both guys were happy with the plane and said I did a good job. I guess now I change from saying I am building an airplane to I have built an airplane. Many thanks to everyone on here who have given tons of support.

Congratulations. Momentous occasion

Congratulations David! I've been to your airport in November it's a challenging place to do thorough testing this time of the year. Could be very windy. Take your time don't rush on Phase 1.
Yes you have been here. A date which will live in infamy. November 1st 2015. That was my first RV ride courtesy of you flying all the way from Jersey in crazy winds. A month later we were in Minnesota picking up a tail and wing kit from someone who changed their mind about building. Thanks again Vlad!
2113.jpg

Finally met with the FAA inspector and received my certificate. Took about a month after the actual inspection. He says this is how they do it now. They have to enter the info into their FAA program then return later with the certificate. At least thats what he told me. Anyway, it's finally official. I have an airplane!!
20221201-110914.jpg

Certificate

With a DAR, WE went over to the local FBO and printed the AC, he signed it and handed it to me that day 11/9/2022)

So, is that your A/W certificate at the top, in black and white? Think the FAA would object if you copied this onto pink paper? I kind of like the old-style!

N184WM is a real airplane! Ian be damned! (note lack of hangar doors....)

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    753.9 KB · Views: 45
I guess now I change from saying I am building an airplane to I have built an airplane. Many thanks to everyone on here who have given tons of support.

Congratulations

Now you also change from saying you are a builder to saying you are a test pilot.

So, is that your A/W certificate at the top, in black and white? Think the FAA would object if you copied this onto pink paper? I kind of like the old-style!

Yes the certificate is at the top. It is 3 pages and includes the operating limitations.

I'm still doing the "Pink Slips"; at least until I run out.

If any DARs out there have Pink 8130-7s left, I would like to have them.

Congratulations

Now you also change from saying you are a builder to saying you are a test pilot.

Yes I can't wait! I wanted to do the first flight myself , but am going to listen to people that are much smarter than me on this topic. I've enlisted someone with an incredible aviation background. Navy and Air Force fighter pilot and 747 captain for 20 years. We are at the mercy of mother nature now.

Yes I can't wait! I wanted to do the first flight myself , but am going to listen to people that are much smarter than me on this topic. I've enlisted someone with an incredible aviation background. Navy and Air Force fighter pilot and 747 captain for 20 years. We are at the mercy of mother nature now.

A "fun fact"; There's a chance that you will not get a condition inspection in 2023 since your next inspection isn't due until 12/31/2023. So you can complete it in December 2023 and sign it off 01 January 2024.

RV pilot?

No matter how impressive your test pilot's background is, unless he's been flying RVs I would not use him.

Big difference between a 747 and an RV.

Just saying ...

Finn

Agree with Finnflyer

I’ve done many first flights and I’ve trained many to fly RVs. Some of the most challenging students had great credentials but needed lots of training to become safe RV pilots.

No matter how impressive your test pilot's background is, unless he's been flying RVs I would not use him.

Big difference between a 747 and an RV.

Just saying ...

Finn

No worries there. He has an RV4 and an RV10 and has a bunch of RV9 hours. He seems to be the guy to go to in my area for RV flying!

No worries there. He has an RV4 and an RV10 and has a bunch of RV9 hours. He seems to be the guy to go to in my area for RV flying!

There you go - that carries much more weight than Air Force fighter time and ATP time in my book. It's a completely different type of flying.

Back