What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 done!

Mikeyb

Well Known Member
I’m done with my phase 1 testing. I flew roughly 40 flights two or three times a week following the Vans test flight guidelines.

The engine performed flawlessly. I had one oil leak at the dipstick tube at first but not a drop of oil leaked after. My baffles probably get a C by DanH standards but it doesn’t get hot. At least in the conditions I fly it. The GAMI fuel flow test shows all the EGT’s peaking within .1 GPM as delivered. The oil consumption went from 5 hrs/qt to maybe 20 hrs/qt in the first 20 hours.

The Hartzell composite prop is amazing. It’s very smooth. I don’t have a comparison but it will accelerate the airplane on the takeoff roll from 0-60 mph IAS in just over 4 seconds. The engine braking with the prop full RPM is impressive. At 88 mph, engine at idle and no flaps the decent rate goes from 600 fpm with coarse pitch to 1100 fpm fine pitch.

The biggest problem I had was a fuel tank that was hermetic before it flew that developed a leak at the aft baffle that required R&R after 3 hours of flight. The flare fitting on one wheel cylinder loosened and was dripping for some time before I found it. Sort of embarrassing. There was black goo on the bottom of the wheel pant I thought was from asphalt.

It’s just a blast to fly. I put a dot on the center of the windscreen level with my eye. I put that dot where I want it to go, adjust the throttle accordingly and it goes there. I think I learned more about airplanes doing the simple stability tests than anything else in the past 40 years.
Mike

Attachments

• 165A3C0C-0080-4F47-86DE-0E906CC730C8.jpg
    165A3C0C-0080-4F47-86DE-0E906CC730C8.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Congrats on completing Phase 1. Nice looking airplane (and prop!)

Thanks!
You would think you would get tired of looking at it after all those hours of working on it but I haven’t.

Hear, Hear !...

Thanks!
You would think you would get tired of looking at it after all those hours of working on it but I haven’t.

Congrats!! Yeah - - 1st flight 1/2018 and I was at the hangar today and thinking the same thing!!

I’m done with my phase 1 testing. I flew roughly 40 flights two or three times a week following the Vans test flight guidelines.

The engine performed flawlessly. I had one oil leak at the dipstick tube at first but not a drop of oil leaked after. My baffles probably get a C by DanH standards but it doesn’t get hot. At least in the conditions I fly it. The GAMI fuel flow test shows all the EGT’s peaking within .1 GPM as delivered. The oil consumption went from 5 hrs/qt to maybe 20 hrs/qt in the first 20 hours.

The Hartzell composite prop is amazing. It’s very smooth. I don’t have a comparison but it will accelerate the airplane on the takeoff roll from 0-60 mph IAS in just over 4 seconds. The engine braking with the prop full RPM is impressive. At 88 mph, engine at idle and no flaps the decent rate goes from 600 fpm with coarse pitch to 1100 fpm fine pitch.

The biggest problem I had was a fuel tank that was hermetic before it flew that developed a leak at the aft baffle that required R&R after 3 hours of flight. The flare fitting on one wheel cylinder loosened and was dripping for some time before I found it. Sort of embarrassing. There was black goo on the bottom of the wheel pant I thought was from asphalt.

It’s just a blast to fly. I put a dot on the center of the windscreen level with my eye. I put that dot where I want it to go, adjust the throttle accordingly and it goes there. I think I learned more about airplanes doing the simple stability tests than anything else in the past 40 years.
Mike

I've been flying behind the same prop now for a year after a new engine/prop installation. I flew a carbon FP prop for 350 hours prior, and it's quite a difference. I'm very pleased.

Nice looking -8!

Thanks Sir
It was my only extravagance. So many advantages. To be honest I think they way it looks was worth the difference. The good news for new builders is the prop hasn’t gone up in price anywhere near as much as engines.
Mike

Back