What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixture lever conundrum

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
I have a MS4-5 carburetor on my O-360 in my -6. My conundrum is this - the throw on the 48” cable from Van’s is 2 1/8”. All of them are that length. My mixture lever (photo attached) requires something between 2 1/2” and 2 3/4”. I either need to locate a mixture lever that has a shorter throw or cable with a longer throw. I thought I found one on McMaster-Carr, but the attach points put the cable throw too far back for my console ( I didn’t mention that, did I), so the mixture lever in the cockpit won’t move far enough. I am very near the tearing my hair out 😖🤬 phase here. Any and all thoughts will be welcome. Those with a solution will cause unalloyed joy on my part. Thanks in advance. Mel - any ideas?

Added photo of data plate.

Attachments

• 5A411F87-8889-485F-AAA7-AE3A6F79324E.jpg
    5A411F87-8889-485F-AAA7-AE3A6F79324E.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 66
  • E65216A1-05B9-42A3-AC10-0D6A3D6FA19D.jpg
    E65216A1-05B9-42A3-AC10-0D6A3D6FA19D.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Most attack this issue by getting a shorter arm for the carb, or moving the attach point on the quadrant lever further away from the pivot point. Note too that if you adjust the cable rigging on the carb so that ‘half throw’ on the cable does not coincide with the arm at 90 deg to the cable, you can gain a small amount of rotation on the carb lever.

I had a similar problem for both my throttle and mixture. I ended up getting a shorter throttle lever from the manufacturer of my fuel servo and using the original throttle lever for the mixture. The mixture lever is shorter than the throttle lever so I was able to drill a new hole in the old throttle lever and have enough edge distance from the original hole. Both levers now hit both the stops.

Thanks!

To all who responded, thanks very much. It turns out that I have a cable already that will work. All I have to do is fabricate a bracket to hold it, as it is not a bulkhead mount.

Back