What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Aft battery routing

msstahl

For those of you that ran an aft battery in the 8, how did you secure the battery cable under, over or around the roll trim servo if installed?

Here is what I did (sorry - this is the only photo I can find). Note - adel clamps later added to replace the zip ties. Dynon autopilot pitch servo mounted on the normal location on the elevator bell crank.

This is a PC-625 battery sitting in a modified standard Van’s battery tray. An identical battery is mounted in the forward baggage compartment well. I did this to get the W&B I wanted (IO-360-M1B with Hartzell BA CS prop).

Carl
FEAC6140-063-A-4-A80-8-DDD-59-AAFE27-BB33.jpg

Aileron trim tray

If you’re asking how to route the main battery wire around the tray for the aileron trim, it curves down and goes underneath it then curves back up. You may need to install extra wire clamps fore and aft of the tray to prevent chafing, but I don’t recall having to do this. Drawing OP-11 shows the routing and the cushion clamp locations.

Skylor

If you’re asking how to route the main battery wire around the tray for the aileron trim, it curves down and goes underneath it then curves back up. You may need to install extra wire clamps fore and aft of the tray to prevent chafing, but I don’t recall having to do this. Drawing OP-11 shows the routing and the cushion clamp locations.

Skylor

Skylor - yes, there are four #6 screws holding down the roll trim servo and it looks a little interesting between the bracket and the bottom skin. Guess I’ll add a little extra special padding around the battery and an adel clamp in front of and behind the bracket.

Last edited:
I made a bracket for an adel clamp to support the cable between the trim servo tray and skin and inboard of the servo mounting screws.

Attachments

• LKRV8-F0913.jpg
    LKRV8-F0913.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 180
  • LKRV8-F0914.jpg
    LKRV8-F0914.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 147
Back