Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-07-2022, 05:34 AM

Just been reading through the Dynon HDX manual. It appears that SkyView can change active frequency of some legacy Garmin radios (SL30, SL40) but for the GTR200 it's only the standby frequency that can be updated, while the radio is capable of full remote support through the G3X. Does anyone know why this is the case? Is that because SkyView only communicates via serial and not CAN bus? Was hoping to get a full remote support via SkyView.

Does anyone know if SkyView can remote control the current Garmin Mode C transponder? The manual is a little thin on that side.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:59 AM

You can only change the standby frequency on the GTR 200 itself, as it is with most radios. You need to flip flop with active to tune the active. This is easily done from the HDX. The only thing you can't do operationally from the HDX is turn on monitoring of the standby channel. In practice I use the GTR200 flip flop switch because it's a single button press most of the time, but I never tune the radio with its own controls.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 08-07-2022, 10:37 AM

What Claude said.

On my control stick I used one button to flop the freqs on the GTR-200 and one to activate monitor function. One of the best decisions I ever made during the build. I use the HDX to transfer freqs and with my left hand push the swap button on the stick. Transfer weather freq to standby and monitor as needed.

Slightly diff approach while IFR but you get the gist.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:09 PM

Ah okay so the SkyView does the same what a G3X would do? Send a frequency that gets stored as standby and is able to swap active and standby? That make sense.

Last edited by jandetlefsen : 08-07-2022 at 08:39 PM.